Hello to everyone

Al B

I thought I'd just drop in and say Hi to everyone and introduce myself, I live in Melbourne, Australia and do woodworking as a hobby. I’ve had my cyclone for almost two years and built it from plans, which I downloaded from Bill Pentz’s site. I have to say that I really enjoyed building the cyclone and ductwork and am very happy with it.

I have seen some very impressive cyclone setups in people’s workshops that have posted, some really great ideas, thanks.

I am no expert when it comes to cyclones but am only to happy to share what I know and get great pleasure in learning new techniques and generally talking 'shop'.

Thank you for letting me join your community.

Regards,
Al :)

Great Work!

Great Work!

Hi, Al,

The work you did, and the documentation of the effort, are superb. I can't think of anyone who, upon viewing your gallery, hasn't walked away thinking "Wow!" And most likely learned a few tricks of sheetmetal work as well. Very nice work!

And I still don't have a clue how you got those finished pieces to look so shiny and great after welding them up. They look better than factory made pieces.

One small question: When I installed the little mini, I used an existing hole in the lid as an inspection port, covering it with some Lexan. In use, the combination of the static generated by flowing air and particles coupled with the lid being metal, and that Lexan doesn't seem to dissipate static, means that in short order, both the entire inside surface of the bin's lid and the Lexan view port are coated in a layer of dust, rendering it useless for inspecting the level of chips in the bin.

When I go to assemble the main cyclone, I thought I'd make the lid of whatever bin I end up with clear, like yours. But it occurs to me it, too, will soon become coated and rendered nearly useless for inspection. So, the question: What's your experience with this? Does your lid remain viable for use in judging the fullness of your bin after a good bit of use? Is it worth the bother or would I be better off with one of those bin sensors?

Thanks, and triple thanks for your gallery.

Regards,

DWD

Thanks guys for your kind comments,

DWD - I have never had any problems with seeing the level in the dust bin,
I do get some very fine dust that is attracted to the lid but nothing to affect seeing the level.
I just went out to my workshop and took a photo as the bin is reasonably full and you can see that the level inside is still clearly visible.

Regards,
Al

Attachments

• Drum.jpg
    Drum.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Trimming metal drum

Trimming metal drum

Hello Al,

I have been very impressed with the images of your home built cyclone and dust barrel. I want to go the barrel route as well. What did you use to get such a clean cut at the barrel bottom? Did you learn anything else while developing your barrel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

Chuck

Hello Al,

I have been very impressed with the images of your home built cyclone and dust barrel.

Thanks so much Chuck. :)

I want to go the barrel route as well. What did you use to get such a clean cut at the barrel bottom?

To remove the base from the drum, I used a 4” angle grinder with a cutting disc and cut through the outer layer only at the base of the drum, take your time and work your way around the base of the drum, the base should come out easily.
Once I worked out the new height for the drum I marked a line around the drum and to cut away the excess I just used tin snips, I cut the excess section of the drum in two passes on the first pass I cut to about an 1" away from the line and then on the second pass I just cut along the line that way I got a neat smooth cut.
If you look at the photos (Drum2 through to Drum5) in the gallery http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/DIY+Cyclones/Als-Cyclone-project/ they should help give you a better idea of what Im trying to say.

Did you learn anything else while developing your barrel?
I learn't that I could actually cut the excess of the drum using the tin snips, I thought it would have been much harder to cut than it was and would have to use the angle grinder.

I am really happy with the drum, It works really well. I can see the level in the drum and find it easy to remove and empty when its full.

Regards,
Al

Last edited:
Thanks Al

Thanks Al

Al,

Thanks for the quick response. I had pretty muched guessed that you used either an angle grinder or a pneumatic die grinder. The only thing I was concerned with was cutting through only the outer layer.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Back