nordfab pipe came today

ScottN

Well...actually I had to go get it. The shipping company called to verify time for delivery. They were using a semi because they had multiple drops. I had them deliver it to my local lumber yard, because the road bans are on.

I'm amazed at the quality of this stuff.Its going to be fun installing it.

Has anyone else used the nordfab QF pipe? And if so what did you do to make the first angle? I'll install one 5'-8" pipe coming straigh out of the cyclone and then I'll have to make a 11 deg angle to run along my ceiling. I'm wondering if I should order another 8" QF pipe and cut in the angle and weld it. I hope there's an easier solution.

I'd suggest a Fernco coupling, which you should be able to get at a local plumbing supplier or even your local home improvement store. Different sizes are available and also different styles, including adapters and wyes. They are flexible and should work to make the slight turn you need.

Use a short piece of flexible ducting. A few of us have done that for odd angles. You can see a few pictures in the gallery. You won't lose much CFM for the very few inches it will take to make the bend and it also isolates whatever slight vibration you might get from the cyclone from the rest of your ducting.

I hate the fact you have to buy the metal flex pipe in 5' increments. I only need 2'. At $25 a foot it seems like such a waste. :(

Got our shop set up with the QF pipe, and we love it. It goes up so nice, and when we move we can easily take it down and bring it with us. Also handy if you want to re-arrange your tools. Rockler or Woodworker Supply has Fazbrackets that the QF pipe fits in well, making installation a breeze.

The QF pipe is more expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion.

Nordfab connections

Nordfab connections

Haven't installed ducting yet. How are people hooking up the duct to the intake? Do those fernco couplings fit over the intake chute?

Last edited:
Yes, just went down to the hardware store and bought one large enough to fit. Despite them being flexible, they are not weak enough to collapse when the unit is running.

Nordfab connection

Nordfab connection

Me too. The fitting goes on the outside of the intake chute, but is way oversized for the Nordfab duct. If you don't mind, keep me posted on how you manage to seal that connection. I'm keen to see whether it works.
As an aside, I tried fitting flexible hose over the duct and inside the intake chute. They both fit, but you'd have to seal the intake chute with silicone or a rubber gasket or something, and it looks like a fragile link.

Yes, it will be loose on the 6" nordfab pipe. You just need to keep on tightening down the hose clamp until you have a good seal. The fitting should compress down enough to do that. Seriously, just crank the hell out of it.

Frenco - Nordfab connection?

Frenco - Nordfab connection?

I bought the Fernco coupling and it fits snugly over the CV intake. How did you connect the Fernco to your Nordfab ductwork? I'd love to learn from your positive experience - I'm very eager to get up and operating.

Jim

Nordfab transition

Nordfab transition

I tried the rubber coupling and decided the only way to seal that properly would be to wrap the Nordfab pipe with another piece of rubber (cut up a second coupling?) to increase the diameter of the pipe. That was starting to look complicated, so I bought a Nordfab transition from Clearvue for about $120, took the acrylic transition that ships with the cyclone off, substituted the Nordfab transition and joined it to the ducting with a short piece of flex and two Nordfab hose adapters. That solved a couple of issues: it isolated the cyclone from the ducting for noise and vibration; and it allowed me to compensate for the angle of the transition to get the ducting horizontal a little sooner.
Good luck with the project.

nordfab transition

nordfab transition

Excellent! Thanks for the response. I thought there had to be a clean way to do this. I'll contact CV to get the transition.

Jim

Back