30 gal open head steel drum source?

cirka

Can anyone suggest a source for a steel 30 gal, open head drum for use as a dust collection bin either in/near Portland, Oregon or online? I had no problem finding new ones online for ~$75 but was hoping to get something used instead. Internet searches don't turn up anything promising and I figured I'd check here first before calling around.

Thanks.

John

Check with car washes and car dealerships. Most dealerships get chemicals in 55 gallon drums, but a small one might use it in smaller quantities. Car washes might get soap in smaller ones. You can usually get them for free. I got 2 55 gallon plastic barrels that way from a dealership. Jim.

I went to Burchams metals (scrap yard) in albany OR and got a 55 Gallon (it was either 55 or 80) clean nice blue metal barrel for $12 - and thats including the lid that locks on to the can. :)

Its probably worth a drive to get one. If you have questions, I have my barrel setup in my shop with the CV 1800 just a few miles away from the scrapyard.

Kurt

If you do get a 55 Gallon drum they are easy enough to shorten to allow it to fit under a cyclone.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. IMEX is a good resource although there wasn't anything up when I originally looked. My original plan was for a CV1400 + 30gal drum in a low-ceiling basement installation but Ed has since talked me up to a CV1800 so now I'll definitely have to cut down either a 30 or 55gal drum. The latter should work nicely and I'll check out salvage yards to see about scrounging one up.

John

Cirka, I'm also in Portland and I'm just putting my system together. Did your search produce any good tips in the end?

-david

David - I ended up constructing a custom MDF dust bin to gain more volume for a given height and didn't end up finding a specific drum source in Portland. I did see several 55 gal drums on craigslist during my searches so that might be a good route to pursue for the smaller size as well.

If you don't already have your pipe, I'd recommend the Horizon store in Tigard on Hunziger Blvd. I think that was my only locally sourced material, but feel free to PM me if you need any further input or suggestions.

John

Thanks, John. I'd located that Horizon store and got a great price quote on the pipe when I called them.

What thickness of MDF did you use for your bin? I'm wondering if half-inch would be strong enough; maybe with some stiffeners? Just to keep the weight down.

Custom Bin

Custom Bin

David, you may be interested in the bin I'm making with polycarbonate hurricane panels, here.

This is my second bite at the apple as the first with an aluminum frame didn't work due to my inability to weld aluminum and a poor design on my part. This second one appears to be capable of doing the job, and weighs under 20 lb. The panels aren't cheap, though. Last I checked, Bill Hobson of Lowcountry Storm Panels charges $80 for a 4x6 piece, and I think he adds whatever shipping he has to pay. As he's local for me, I just went and picked them up. You can ask him to cut the panel to rough dimensions and avoid oversize charges. Don't remember if he charges a nominal sum for cutting or not.

My bin is 24" x 18" x 30" tall. If one doesn't use the Gallina product for the bottom, then you can get the four sides out of one 4x6. If you use 3/4 or 1/2 ply for the bottom, some considerations: Less Gallina product is needed so lower cost. Heavier, but you can attach the casters directly to the bottom and avoid making a dolly. But that, too, will increase the weight. My calibrated hand thought adding four casters certainly doubled if not tripled the overall weight when I tried it on the first pass.

Regards,
DWD

Last edited:
I did see your Gallina bin project, DWD, but on my budget the cost seems excessive for the benefit, as you ruminated yourself (if memory serves). I think what I will do regardless of what sort of bin I end up using is to move it with a hand truck I have rather than casters, since I will typically be dumping it on plant beds around our yards, and casters just won't do over rough ground.

I'm leaning toward a fiber drum from McMaster at this point:
4142T8 - Fiber Drum with Galvanized Steel Top and Bottom Rims; Lever-Lock Closing Ringfor Dry Material, 41 Gal Cap, 300 lb Capacity $34.13 Each - 20 7/8" wide x 31" tall

Seems like that should be fairly easy to make airtight, with the closing ring on the top.

Fiber Drum

Fiber Drum

David,

Oh, by all means! If you can get a ready made drum of some sort that'll meet your form factor and volume requirements, you'll be miles ahead and have more jingle in your pockets. But if you're stuck like I was, and weight is an issue, then the Gallina panels are a lightweight option. I didn't relish the idea of toting or dumping a heavy version made of ply or MDF, and realizing how lazy I am, knew I wouldn't until it was too late and the blasted thing overflowed, making an even bigger mess. This way, even lazy old me might do the right thing and keep it empty enough so it'll do its job.

Regards,
DWD

A factor with me is also that I'm a big guy and stronger than most, so weight issues are somewhat reduced for me. Except for, um, my own weight... ;)

Last edited:
David - I used 1/2" MDF and the bin dimensions are 22 x 16 x 20, with a secondary rim inside the lid (like on a pot) to resist pressure. It's not in production yet, but I do believe it'll hold up to the forces. The lid fastening is a combination of a heavy duty gasket and 6 hasps, all from McMaster-Carr. As the entire cyclone and bin will eventually be walled off, I plan to initially have a narrow sight glass (out of plastic) and then an electronic bin full sensor setup.

It slides around pretty nicely with some UHMW glides on the bottom, but will still be awkward to empty so I plan on attempting to use a bag liner with some kind of metal frame/inlaid magnets to keep it from getting sucked up the cyclone.

DWD - Nice job!

John

Back