32 gallon heavy duty can & lid -works great!

GaryPC

for anyone interested I got a Witt WHD32C for $86 + $60 shipping and handling from instawares.com that works perfectly, it is made from 23gauge galv steel thick enough that instead of tin snipping the almost 6" hole out and dealing jagged edges I was able to jigsaw cut and file smooth the opening. 'Threading' the 6" flex on was effortless and it sealed with minimal silicon caulk.
I used a soft rubber 5/32" weatherseal to seal the lid and 2 bungee cords across the lid tied to (4) 1/4" eye-bolts distributed around the can walls the same height as the handles, plus 2 more bungee cords tied to the handles themselves.
In operation there is no visible movement or vibration of the lid or can. I had first tried a regular $25 trash can but the lid inverted under the high suction - lifting the can off the floor by about 3". I also tried stiffening the top with mdf but got little improvement, and the side walls continued to shake in a way that suggested in time the sides would collapse.
But one last detail ... they by mistake sent me three cans and lids. Turns out it was cheaper to leave them with me rather than have UPS pick them up ... so I was told to do with them as I wish ...nice!
Gary

Steve P

Shipping almost doubles the price

Shipping almost doubles the price

I hate it when shipping costs are nearly as much as the item. Too bad there is not a local source.

I am planning to use a 55 gallon plastic drum that was previously used to store horse pellets. It is about 1/8" thick heavy plastic. A couple of grown men could probably stand on the side of it without collapsing it. I just need to make a wooden collar and a solid wood top.

Feed stores usually charge a $10 deposit on the barrels when you buy 250 lbs of pellets for about $60. Not sure if a feed store would sell a used one, since they normally expect them to be returned and re-used. I have one with the lid cut off, so it can't be returned. It was given to us when we got our horses, so I don't feel guilty about using something inappropriately. There is also a guy on Craigslist selling used plastic or steel barrels for "less than the cost of a deposit".

Steve

Ken Harris

Gary thanks to your post I got the same can.For my application the height of the can is perfect,the can is very robust.I purchased the bin sensor and will be mounting sensors on wall rather than on the can.I mocked up bin sensor just to try it and by golly it will be a great asset .Those of you who are electrically challenged if in doubt of how to to do any wiring please ask or consult someone knowledgeable,believe me from time to time I will be needing help just doing some wood projects.As Mcrabbett always says work safe.

picturebob

steel barrel

steel barrel

global industries 888-978-7759
35 gallon 20 gauge steel banded top. 71.95
frieght to NC $27.