6” and 4” on one table saw?

tweather

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has found that searching for 5” fitting is like searching for a Cabbage Patch Kid in December of 1983. I’m wondering if I can just go with the much more common 6” dust port in the body of my table saw, coupled with a 4” over blade guard? I’m running a 6” main with 6” drops to machines.

Thanks. Just been interested and reading about it for a long time.

That is a good port but spendy of course. There are speaker ports that have the proper flare, harder to find in bigger sizes of course, that are much less to buy. I don't know how durable they are though but for the price they might be worth a try.

There are videos on how to make them from S&D PVC drain pipe by heating and pushing them over a form. The Aussie Woodwork forum has discussions about it.

Pete

It’s amazing how compartmentalized thinking can become. I have ordered components from parts express for other projects related to a tube amp and speaker cabinet...never thought about speaker ports being so well suited to moving dust filled air as well!

I've made 6" dust ports for my table saw and other tools using an 8" square piece of 3/4" plywood and half of a 6" PVC coupling (sawn down to 1/2 length and fitted into a hole in the plywood) and glued in place with Gorilla Glue. Just cost a few bucks. And yes, you can split your 6" main duct to a 6" for the saw cabinet and 4" for the overhead guard (I have a Shark Guard for my saw).
Tablesaw Port 1.jpg

Back