6" to two 4" transition with or without gates?

Darren

Hi Folks,

I'm about to order my CV1800 with 16" blower upgrade. I'm looking at the remainder of my order and blast gates are among the items I'm deciding on. Most of my machines take two 4" connections so I figure I'll get the 6" to two 4" transition for those machines. I'm wondering if there is an advantage going with the 6" gate before the split and no gates on the 4" or whether gates on the 4" without the 6" gate is better. Price is $1 cheaper to go with the splitter with gates so price isn't a consideration.

Thanks for any advice.

Darren

If you intend to use the 4" version to draw dust from two different sources, then get the version with the built-in gates. Even if the 4" ducts go to ports on the same machine, you might want to throttle flow (e.g., on a tablesaw equipped with a Shark Guard over the saw blade). Remember that two 4" ducts cannot support the same airflow that one 6" duct (see the chart below from Bill Pentz' website), so if possible, a 6" port on a machine will support high airflow.
DuctingSplitChart.png

Attachments

• DuctingSplitChart.png
    DuctingSplitChart.png
    278 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, none of my machines support 6" ports so I was hoping to split into two 4" ports per machine and keep both open while running any machine whether it uses two 4" points of collection or not. I'm hoping two 4" ports are enough to keep things flowing efficiently and separate the fine dust. I'm reading the Pentz website but he seems to contradict himself a bit stating that two 4" ducts are enough for a 6" main trunk but then says you need more later. I like the idea of being able to throttle things like the shark guard.

Back