7" main for a Clearvue 1800

ttf5003

I went to my local supplier to buy some 6" dust pipe. Unfortunately they are getting out of the business and only have 5" or 7" left. I think 5" would be fine for my tiny shop now. However, I plan on moving to a bigger shop in a couple of years. So I was thinking maybe I should just get the 7" because then I would have a a good trunk line to start with.

Then I noticed that the 1800 is a 6" inlet ( I had it confused with the Oneida V-3000), is there any downside to using a 6" to 7" adapter right at the inlet? Will there be any benefit at all to the 7" pipe, or is the 6" inlet the limiting factor?

I could just order 6" but it will probably cost more than the 7" with shipping.

ttf5003,

I am not sure of your impeller size, but my understanding is the 16” impeller would handle a main trunk of 8”. If yours is a 15” impeller then either some calculations or contacting Clear Vue would be needed to ensure the 15” impeller will provide the air velocity in the 7” main trunk to prevent dust from settling out of the air stream.

I would think that reducing from 7” to 6” would restrict air flow and could reduce velocity of air in the main trunk too much. Again, Clear Vue Technical Support may answer this question. Alternatively perhaps the intake transition from rectangle to 8" round could be purchased to replace the rectangle to 6" round transition. Increasing from a 7” main trunk to an 8” cyclone inlet makes sense to me.

If you elect to marry the 7” main trunk to the 6” inlet, then the 7”, I assume PVC, pipe can be reduced in diameter to fit over the outside of the 6” cyclone inlet. It would be better to shrink the 7” pipe to fit inside the 6” outlet, but I am not sure how much success there would be in reducing the diameter of the 7” pipe enough to fit inside the 6”cyclone inlet.

Shrinking the PVC pipe would require building a mold that when compressed around the outside diameter of the 7” heated PVC pipe would reduce the diameter of the pipe. I found that a die inside the pipe was also required to achieve uniform compression around the diameter of the pipe. I bought a heat gun to heat and soften the PVC before attempting to compress the pipe. If you are interested in changing the diameter of the PVC I can post some more info. Also there are several YouTube videos that show how PVC pipe can be manipulated.

The CV1800 is made to mate with 6" SDR35 or D2729 PVC pipe. The CV1800 would benefit from a 7" pipe (steel) but you would have to come up with something to mate with either the 6" inlet or the rectangular inlet at the cyclone.
bababrown

Back