92" ceiling

Daddy194x

Hi!
I am in the market for a dust collector system. Clear vue seems to be the highest performance option out there.

I have a basement shop 20' by 10', and only one tool will be used at any one time.

My ceiling is only 92" tall. how could I make the cv1800 work? Is it a matter of changing the filter configuration? Filter height issues aside, what else drives the height? If I used a 35 gal drum, could I get this system to fit?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Jeremy

Jeremy,

There are several ways that you can install a CV1800 within the height restriction you quoted. 1) If you can position the motor between the joists of the floor above, then you can gain six - eight inches; 2) You can use a shorter dust bin barrel; or 3) you can build a custom side-by-side filter box using MDF that will reduce the height of the filter pack (check out some of the installations in the CV Photo Gallery, accessible from the main website). If you opt for the installation between the joists, be sure that you leave sufficient room for air circulation to allow the motor to get some cooling.

Hope this helps.

When Orson Welles was filming Citizen Kane he wanted a camera angle that was very low. Rather than rebuilding the sets to raise the floor, he had a hole dug in the studio floor. Any thoughts of lowering your basement floor? I'm sure banging boards and plywood against your lights and ceiling must be very frustrating.

Good luck with the installation. You will love your CV DC.

I still have not taken the CV plunge yet... but am thinking about it again.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Based on my needs, I will probably need to do a double-wide filter arrangement.

For a handful of reasons, noise control, height limitations, I am thinking of de-coupling the motor & blower from the cyclone. The picture gallery has some great ideas. In particular, I like Bill Belknap's mobile installation. I have an idea of my own, but I am not sure if it is a good idea... Are there any issues with side mounting the motor/blower assembly? The impeller would be oriented like a clock... all of the installation examples I have seen in the gallery show the impeller mounted like a record player.

Chopping a hole in my basement floor is not an option. I want to avoid poking a hole in the ceiling, too ;-).

When Orson Welles was filming Citizen Kane he wanted a camera angle that was very low. Rather than rebuilding the sets to raise the floor, he had a hole dug in the studio floor. Any thoughts of lowering your basement floor?

Even easier is to raise the ceiling. By that I mean cut a small hole in the sheetrock for the motor to stick into. This avoids having to lift the barrel out of a hole to empty it. Besides, a hole in the floor is problematic if your workshop is on a cement slab.

One consideration for a hole in the ceiling is that you need to keep air circulating around the motor to keep it cool.

Steve

Turning the blower and motor assembly sideways creates a lot of design and installation issues. To get smooth air flow, piping the air from the top of the cyclone to the blower/motor is going to be tricky. In theory you would need a pipe elbow or plenum that didn't create any turbulence. The arc of the elbow or the plenum I would assume would have to be almost as tall as the blower/motor assembly. The cross section of your pipe would have to be the same size in cross section as the openings you are connecting.

Then you have to create a motor bracket that has to correct for downward pressure due to gravity and other forces.

I would just get a short dust can or fibre barrel. Get back to woodworking.

You can buy just the cyclone body and adapt a standard DC blower unit to draw off the top. Many have done this very successfully. The first working Pentz design I saw was a home made cyclone with a blower assembly off of a Taiwanese single stage.
Built this way for about an 84" ceiling.

As long as you do not go short on the blower capacity, you can do a lot.

Don

I narrowed down my search to the CV1800 over Oneida. However, I hit this very snag! Disappointing for sure. I have a 99" ceiling height. With the 30 gallon drum I would need 101". I am in a three stall prestressed garage. There is no raising the ceiling, no cutting into drywall. She's all concrete down here and stops dead at 99".

Rick,
I have my cv1800 installed with 97" clearance using a regular Behrens metal garbage can ( I think 30 gallon) with a plywood lid. An extra 2" should make for a very convenient install.
bababrown

Back