A motor for 50Hz electricity

p-e-t-e-r

Hello guys!
I really need some help! I live in Stockholm, Sweden and are looking for a motor for my cyclone. As I live in Europe we use 50Hz electricity so I can’t use the Leeson motor everybody is talking about, could I ? :confused:

I have been in contact with several suppliers of electrical motors here in Sweden but no one have a motor with the same specifications as the Leeson motor. What makes the Leeson motor so special ? What are the important specifications I need on a motor? 5 HP ?, 3450 rpm ?, what else ?

Do anyone know of a suitable motor for 50Hz or have some other solution to my problem?

I don’t know much about electricity or electrical motors for that matter so I really need your help. Please help!

BR
/Peter

Sparky Bits

Sparky Bits

Peter,

Up front, I don't know much about the sparky bits either. That said, I'm led to believe the motors will work at 50 Hz, but turn slower. I will, however, draw your attention to Erik's solution, here It appears he added an inverter.

I'm a bit confused, though, about his photo where he wired the motor for 3x230v. I don't understand why he had to go to 3 phase, or if that entailed a different motor than what we get here in the US. Matt and/or Ed might be able to clarify which they shipped to him, assuming he got the motor through CV.

If you go through his gallery a bit farther, he also shows the thing running at both 50 and 60 Hz. Amperage draw (which is proportional to airflow) and noise are shown in the photos.

As I've exceeded my expertise on the subject, probably should leave it there. Hopefully others will be able to provide you a more thorough answer.

Regards,
DWD

DWD, thanks for your reply.
Too bad the gallery database seems to be out of order right now. Hopefully just temporary.
But this inverter thing, what is it? Does it just convert 60Hz to 50Hz ?

I would rather use a power full enough motor. I’m able to use 3 phase if the motor requires it to be. I just need to know what specifications I need to look for on the motor. Can I pick any 5 HP, 3450 rpm motor or should I look for something more ?

Thanks!

/Peter

Inverter, Fan Losses

Inverter, Fan Losses

Peter,

I did a little more research. Erik computed running the fan at 2875 RPM instead of 3450 (50 Hz vs 60 Hz) amounted to a fan loss of 36%. So though it can be run at the lower speed, you're probably wise to search out a better solution.

I found an older thread, will see if I can get a link to work: this link You may have to read down a bit to read Erik's discussion of his inverter.

I just tried the earlier link to the gallery, was working. Might have been in midst of a backup when you tried it earlier. If you try again and still have problems with the link, Erik's is one of the latest (closest to the top) of the CV1800 galleries. If it is the galleries that won't load for you, we're probably going to have to bring it to Matt's attention. As he's recuperating from recent surgery, might take him a while to get to fixing it.

It might be worth your time to open the Member's List, then look at the posts Erik made (he's the only "Erik" under the "E"). VBulletin also allows for emailing or private messages between members. I suggest using the email option, for one must log in, then actually notice there's a new private message, so Erik might miss it. Haven't heard from him for a while, so don't even know if the email he has in the system is still valid, but might be worth a shot for you.

Sorry, but I'm not an electrician, and am well out of my league. Was hoping others more qualified would respond. Perhaps in a while. About all I can help you with here is pointing out places in the forums and gallery where similar problems have been discussed.

Regards,
DWD

Back