Actual Motor Size

M

marly

Hey, Ed, I've checked your site, but do not find your statement about your Leeson 5HP
actually meeting spec's for a 5HP. Where is that?
Thank you

Dave,
Thanks for your comprehensive answer. I appreciate the help.

Ed

I'm not talking about peak power. There are some saying your Leeson under load is
performing as a 3HP. Thus, you are buying a 3HP motor, not a 5. ??

Marly,
Some are confused. The motor is rated 5hp by Leeson - a very reputable company. It's NOT rated as PEAK HORSEPOWER. My son bought a RIGID brand shop vac that is advertized as 6.5 Peak HP. It draws 12 amps at 120 V. Obviously, they use a different system to measure HP and I for one don't like it. By comparision, our motor is rated at 20.8 Full Load Amps @ 230 Volts. For 115V that would be the equivalent of 41.6 amps. That IS within the range of 5 HP. Now, if you talk about what was actually being used out of that 5 hp, we measured the current draw on my system and with all the gates open it was drawing 16 amps. That is just a little over 3 hp worth. Maybe that's where the confusion is. Anyway, with Bill's constant quest for more air, we have increased the impeller size from 14" to 15" and that's what we are currently shipping. The current draw is now at 18 amps with all the gates open. (max air flow). Hope this helps.

Ed

Back