Advice LH instead of RH

alftoy

Somehow my fabricator assembled my cyclone and it is RH instead of LH according to Bills drawings. Now what? Is there a lh/rh impeller? Or is it rh/lh motor?

For those who read this and want the answer, LH vs. RH merely specifies which side of the cyclone body the inlet is on when looking at it from the direction the inlet points. It changes the direction that the air swirls inside the cyclone, but the motor and impeller are somewhat independent of the direction the air swirls in the cyclone body.

I think the consesus is that having an impeller spinning the opposite direction as the air in the cyclone body has only a slightly negative effect on the overall efficiency of the system.

Note that having the motor rotating the impeller backwards from the way it was designed to turn will have a negative impact on overall effiiency. From past posts, I gather that the negative impact is significant. Make sure the motor turns the impeller in the direction the impeller was designed to turn.

A curved-blade material-handling impeller, such as the ones Ed sells, are designed to have the blade curve backward, the same way a broom does when it is swept across the floor. (One way to think of it is that the impeller sweeps the air toward the filters.)

The problem I was having was trying to wrap my head around the fact that the air is entering the cyclone one way and the impeller is turning the other way. But the impeller is pulling the air up the center tube independent of the side the intake is on, so it doesn't matter if the intake is on the left or right.

Exactly. The air going up the tube might have some residual swirl, but it is relatively inconsequential compared to the acceleration the impeller gives it once it reaches the top of the tube.

Back