Advice on DC placement

granvilleww

I've really enjoyed reading the posts on this forum, and I'd appreciate advice on where to locate a prospective new ClearVue cyclone dust collection system.

My shop is in a freestanding 24' x 36' building. The 'machine' section takes up about 24' of the ground level, and the ceiling is quite high—10' at the wall, rising to about 13' in the center. All of my major dust-producing machines are located in the center of this space, surrounding my current 'dust collector' (which I have come to think of as my 'dust pump'), a Jet DC-1200. There is a loft over the other section of the ground floor, reducing its ceiling height to about 7'-6". This area includes a bathroom and another small room with a door, currently used for a compressor and to store supplies. The circuit breaker panel for the shop is located on the outside wall of this room.

I'm interested in improving the efficiency of my dust collection, but I'm also concerned about noise levels. I've attached a .pdf file of my shop layout with some prospective locations for a new system. I'd welcome the thoughts and advice of the forum members on the pros and cons of the different locations.

Location A (along wall of machine room): Unrestricted ceiling height, short run to machine area, easy access to chip barrel, but noisy?

Location B (in small room): Have to use a shorter cyclone, longer run to machines, easy access to electrical panel, more difficult access to chip barrel, less noisy?

Location C (outside shop): Not even sure if this is possible, but I've thought about putting the cyclone and blower outside, then plumbing through the wall to the filters. The shop is heated and cooled using a 'mini split' heat pump system, so I need to recover the heated/cooled air.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Matt

DC Placement

DC Placement

Sounds like you have all kinds of options.....My advise would be to put it in a seperate room whether its inside or outside your shop from a noise standpoint. the footprint of the cyclone will fit in a 3' x 4' room. I built a 4 x 8 room outside my shop for the cyclone and aircompressor for 2 reasons.....1. Was to reduce the noise of both machines and 2. save my floor space.

Also if you decide to build a small room outside I would recommend insulating it but not sheetrocking it and just put the filters in there too. Then just cut a return in shop wall for return air as alot of the noise comes from the top of the filters.

Hope this helps,

Matt

martys

I also recommend building a room outside your shop if possible for the reasons stated earlier. I had the option of using filters or venting outside and I vent outside. It works great.

vdonti

PDF File

PDF File

Granville, I could not find the PDF file you said you were posting?

thanks,

Vince

Matt

PDF File

PDF File

vdonti,

The pdf file may have been here at one time I am but I am not sure. We have on occasion lost some files due to server upgrades and some links may not work either.

Matt