air cleaner

sethsacc

I am trying to decide between window exhaust fans, an air scrubber or both to reduce the dust my cyclone leaves behind. I vent to the outside so I don't need to recirculate the shop air. I noticed that the JDS 750 will only filter 91% at 1 micron. Wynn makes a filter for the 750 that will do 92% at 1 micron and 79% at 0.5 micron. Sounds like this leaves the dangerous sub micron particles behind so I am thinking that two window mounted exhaust fans would work better. Any Ideas?

Seth

Re Air Cleaner

Re Air Cleaner

Hello Seth,
You might want to try building one yourself. See the pic's of the one I built here: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/Misc/Air+Cleaner/ . I suggest you "forget" the Honeywell HEPA filters. I just removed the inner baffle and those HEPA filters to have more air flow. It is actually working much better. I have a Dylos meter (the one that measures the finer dust) and without the HEPA filters it will clean the air down to double or single digit for the finer particles. The fan is an attic gable fan that I purchased from Home Depot and pushes 1540 CFM if I remember correctly. The filters that are left in it now are the 6 3M Filtrete ones. On each of the three sides it's a red one on the outside and then the really good purple one on the inside. Pic 2371, 2372 and 2373 give you a basic idea of the construction. Pic 2387 shows it with the HEPA filters installed (but don't bother with them). Pic 2389 shows the 3M filters installed. It has been installed for about a year and I've been quite happy with the performance, especially since I removed the baffle and HEPA filters.

Just a thought,
Fred Alexander

Fred,

Thanks for the info. Your air cleaning unit looks great! I am not familiar with the measurements for the dylos particle counter. What do the digits signify? What is the air quality while you are working long does it take for the readings to come down? Sorry for all the questions, but I am wondering how well my cv1800 is removing all the dust.

thanks,
Seth

Re: Air Cleaner

Re: Air Cleaner

Seth,
A reading of 3000 would be very poor. I believe that you multiply that number by 10000 (so 30,000,000) and that is the number of .5 micron particles in a cubic foot (I think, don't have the manual in front of me). On the other hand, a number between 1 - 75 would be very good.

I don't think that any system will remove 100%. That's because there are so many variables. How the dust is being extracted at the machinery, how and where the cyclone is set up. How the piping is set up... 90's and 45's used... how much flex is being used.

In an effort to increase the take at the bottom of my general cabinet saw, I cut out the 4" connection and made a 6". Tears were shed cutting thru that nice green paint. But there isn't any dust to speak of in the bottom of the saw now.

The worst thing is sanding. Even with the downdraft table, I will get readings of 2500 to 3000 or more. That's when it spikes. If I leave the cyclone on, it will reduce that number quickly. With the cyclone off and just the air cleaner, it drops pretty fast. Haven't really "timed" it but I would say that within 5 to 10 minutes it's down to the 300 - 400 area.

Using the band saw, mitre saw or table saw the numbers are usually under 700. Once turned off, the air cleaner gets the numbers down within a few minutes. You can actually see the numbers reducing on the screen of the Dylos.

I'm happy with the clearvue and air cleaner. Hope this helps.

Fred

Fred

Air cleaner

Air cleaner

The number on the Dylos counter is the number of particles per 0.01 cubic foot. Multiplying the number by 100 gives particles per cubic foot. So a small particle reading of 2000 on the meter means 200,000 small particles per cubic foot.
bababrown

air cleaner

The number on the Dylos counter is the number of particles per 0.01 cubic foot. Multiplying the number by 100 gives particles per cubic foot. So a small particle reading of 2000 on the meter means 200,000 small particles per cubic foot.
bababrown

Thanks Bababrown for the correction. Sorry Seth for misleading you! Should have gone and looked for the manual.

Fred

Back