Air Filtration System

NorCal

I'm very happy with my Clearvue but I'm now looking at four brands (but open to anything) for an air filtration system. Would appreciate recommendations.

My shop is approx. 30x30. I'd like to spend under $300 total but if it means staying healthier for me and my sons using the shop then I'd spend more. ALso realizing that spending more doesn't necessarily mean better.

The four Brands I'm currently looking at are:
1) Grizzly wheeled floor model. I like this one because it seems to me at least to have the air filter system down low since anything in the air would naturally settle downward. Also convenient to clean.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0573
2) This Grizzly seems comparable to the Jet, Delta, JDS models but less expensive:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0572
3) I might spend more for this grizzly if it were indeed a step up from the other options?:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9956

These I was looking at on Amazon.com but the links are huge and I don't know if they'd work so I won't post them.

4) Delta this was originally my first choice but I read so many bad reviews of shoddy construction and failing motors that I've pretty much ruled it out now.

5) JET 708620B AFS-1000B This is probably the one I am leaning towards most strongly if I don't get any feedback to the contrary.

6) JDS JDS 14022 750-ER This one I read good reviews on but also a lot of reviews saying that people received the units in poorly packed boxes and damaged during shipping. So I wonder about their overall quality control.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have much to offer on your selection, ....but as an fyi, you can use http://tinyurl.com/ to post long links. As long as the URL doesn't contain session information related to your browser, it should work for everyone.

I've used it quite a bit with no problems.

5) JET 708620B AFS-1000B This is probably the one I am leaning towards most strongly if I don't get any feedback to the contrary.
I use this one, no experience with the others. It kept several 2-car garages clean, and now a 2-story 20x30 shop. I clean the pocket filters every 6 months, replacing the fiber filter when I do -- figure in the cost of replacement filters and how easily they can be purchased.

-jon-

Delta

Delta

NorCal, I have an older Delta model, single speed. Now with B&D owning Delta and Porter Cable, I have to wonder about their commitment to the brand. And even before Pentair sold it, they had been busily "cheapening" the brand with "homeowner quality" equipment so they could meet Nardelli's turnover requirements and stay stocked at Home Depot.

So while I've not had problems with mine, I'd take a long look at the quality of their current models.

I managed to get a number of the pocket filters when they were closed out at Lowe's or HD a few years back, but chafed at the rather expensive Purolater prefilter. So I got some permanent, washable electrostatic filters from Penn State, a pair so I could swap out one for the other and still be up and running while the first dried. It does a good enough job to save the pocket filter, but is thinner than the Purolater filter, so you'll have to add some weatherstripping for a gasket.

I have mine mouted above head level, as the sort of dust I was looking to capture, the small stuff, floats fairly well.

I bought it because the "chip collector" type "dust pump" wasn't doing a very good job at anything under about 30 micron, and I was getting annoyed with all the dust settling in my small shop. The Delta does the job. Though there's still dust (until I get the CV 1800 up and running), it is greatly reduced.

The only other considerations I can add is that JDS more or less invented or popularized the genre, so maybe that's worth something to you. Or you can build your own. They're really just a box with a squirrel cage type blower in them, with a couple of filters up front. Can't recall the magazine, but years ago Wood, Woodworker's Journal, WoodSmith or American Woodworker detailed constructing one.

Regards,

DWD

A few years ago I purchased an air cleaning kit from Penn State industries. It included everything but the enclosure. They don't sell it anymore now. It had a squirrel cage blower. I don't remember the CFM. It worked just ok, but I've since disassembled it and plan to modify the enclosure for use with the cyclone. Now that I have the noise to a reasonable level, I can just open a gate to the enclosure and keep it running for awhile. I'll still use the static filter that came with it, but will discard the others.

I ended up getting the Jet AFS-2000. It cost a little more but I figured that like a mattress or shoes, it's something you really should spend a little more on to get the best quality you can and consider the cost as something you pay over time. That's the same approach I took with the Cyclone purchase - ClearVue.

It seems to work fine. It's big and a little loud when you have it on high. It has a timer so that you can set it to stay on for 2, 4 or 8 hours. That's nice but I'd prefer to have a timer system where I could specify the "when" it goes on and off. The manufacturer instructions say to set it at about 7' off the ground. I'm 6'4 so I put it up a little higher. Just mentioning that since height placement was discussed before. Another negative is that I had my electrician install a switch so that I could turn it on and off from the switch instead of the remote control. But the unit doesn't accept that. It wants you to physically press the on button or to use the remote. Overall seems like a reasonable choice though.

Speaking of loud, I decided to move my ClearVue Max outside. We're building a small enclosed extension to the shop to house the ClearVue and my air compressor and then piping in the ducting and hose.

And since we're talking air filtration a great resource on the net would be a list of woods and what toxins or allergies should be considered when working with them. I looked but couldn't find any such resource. Does anyone know of such a thing or if not anyone interested in working with me to put together something like that which we could put online for anyone to access as a helpful resource?

I came across a chart in an 'encyclopida of wood' book that has something similar to what you describe. I'll see if I can locate it, and scan the page in. I'll probably post it under a new thread. Look out for it over the next few days.

From the osha site

From the osha site

Hi I found this it's not exactly right but I thought it might be a start.

Certain species of hardwood—such as oak, mahogany, beech, walnut, birch, elm, and ash— have been reported to cause nasal cancer in woodworkers. This is particularly true when exposures are high. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) recognizes wood dust as a “confirmed” human carcinogen,3 and recommends a limit of 1 milligram per cubic meter (mg/m3) for hardwoods and 5 mg/m3 for softwoods. At this time, OSHA regulates wood dust as a nuisance dust; however, OSHA strongly encourages employers to keep exposures to a minimum and to adopt the ACGIH levels. The maximum permissible exposure for nuisance dust is 15 mg/m3 , total dust (5 mg/m 3 , respirable fraction).

And here's the link..... http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sawmills/dust.html

I found these links also.....They appear to be the same chart from american woodturner magazine in june 1990 or at least the 2nd two.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Danger_in_the_Woods.html
http://mnwoodturners.com/New_Member_Docs/Toxic_Woods_Chart.html
http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

Hope these help,
Matt

Last edited:
A few years ago I purchased an air cleaning kit from Penn State industries. It included everything but the enclosure. They don't sell it anymore now. It had a squirrel cage blower. I don't remember the CFM. It worked just ok, but I've since disassembled it and plan to modify the enclosure for use with the cyclone. Now that I have the noise to a reasonable level, I can just open a gate to the enclosure and keep it running for awhile. I'll still use the static filter that came with it, but will discard the others.

Just wondering how you would hook your cyclone up to the in shop air filter?
Can you run 2 gates open at a time to do this? Or just have a smaller pipe to the air cleaner? what HP on your cyclone?
thanks

The air filteration system is necessary for dust cleaning from shop consisting of 2HP Cyclone
which is equipped with a 1 micron canister filter. The filter should be made with rugged spun
bond polyester.

Hi Folks,

For what its worth, here are a few of my observations. I have a CV 1800 and the difference in air quality just from using it is amazing. Still, there is some amount of very fine dust in the air that escapes the equipment hoods. I also have a JDS 750 ER air filter that I bought used off of eBay. I only run it at the low setting and usually set the timer for one or two hours. This thing really seems to do the trick. I run it primarily during and after sanding operations and always when applying a finish. This has dramatically cut down on the number of specs I get in the finish.

Really nice information which you share with us and I would like to say that the air filtration system is necessary for dust cleaning from shop consisting of 2HP Cyclone Which is equipped with a 1 micron canister filter. Without filtration cleaning is not possible.

PHJ Services
5/1 Fortitude Crescent Burleigh Heads QLD 4220 Australia
Phone : +61 7 5520 7733
phjservices.com.au

Last edited:
Back