Bag Gripper for Dust Bin

Aegwyn11

So I've been lurking around here off and on for some time...bought my CV1800 some time ago, just haven't actually put it together and installed it yet. I'm trying to get all the little details tied down so I can get started, but this one's bugging me.

I want to use bags, BUT I don't want to have to remove anything from the bag before disposing of the waste. Oneida has a nifty little contraption (looks like a little vacuum pump) that sits in the bottom of the bin (under the bag) that serves to keep the bag in place. I like Oneida's solution, but I don't like their price. Suggestions?

I know you said that you don’t want to put anything in the bag but you may want to consider this. I found a Lawson Easy Bagger at Ace Hardware that I’m using on a mini cyclone. It’s a heavy sheet of vinyl that holds the bag open and then I folded the edge of the bag over the top and held it in place with some binder clips. It’s working very well so far but I haven’t emptied the bag yet. It should just slide out and then lift the bag out.

Bag Gripper

Bag Gripper

I use a metal frame inside the bin to hold a thin drawstring bag. Pulling the frame out of a bag full of dust/shavings is not much of a problem especially if done outside. But some dust always gets between the bag and the dust bin. This tends to be very fine dust that clings to the metal can. You cannot just dump it out. When I put a new bag over the frame and drop it back into the can, fine dust flies out. It's not a problem for me because I do it all outside but it would be a mess inside.
Folding the bag over the top of the can would stop dust from getting between the bag and can (until you get a hole in a bag). But inevitably there will be some air leakage behind the bag and it would get pulled up into the cyclone. I would not want a heavy bag up in the impeller; a light bag wouldn't be much more desirable!
I've thought some about running a hose connection from a tap on the duct into the side/bottom of the can. I think someone else wrote something on it in this forum. It would equalize the pressures but not provide extra holding pressure. It might work but I think there is too much danger in pulling bags up into the impeller. Using an external vacuum with more head than the cyclone can generate would hold the bag down.
bababrown

For those of you that use trash cans for your chip barrel, I bought one of the lawn leaf bag holders, but I use a 55 gallon barrel and it's not tall enough. These are thick plastic sheets that you roll up and put inside a lawn plastic bag and it holds it open so you can deposit leaves in it, then once full, pull the liner out and close the bag. Since you have very little negative pressure in the chip barrel, my thought is that this would hold the bag open against the inside of the trash can. Again, folding the plastic bag over the top of the trash can would keep dust from getting in between the bag and the can. Wish I could tell you for sure that it would work...I just need one that is about 12" taller than the one I have! Jim.

Hmmm the idea of connecting the dust bin to the rest of the system is a good one. I actually pulled the trigger on the Oneida Dust Deputy "Ultimate" kit for use with my Festool stuff and they use a similar technique to keep the bag in the bin...a very small hose runs from a fitting on the main hose going into the vac to the side of the bin. Works perfectly unless the bag is empty and you close off the hose end and create a ton of suction (90" of water...)....then the bag sucks up into the cyclone.

I ordered the 30 gal fiber drum with the leverlock closing ring from McMaster Carr....I should be able to fold the bag over the lip and use the closing ring to hold it in place...this way if it does manage to get sucked up in the cyclone it won't be able to go all the way up to the impeller.

BTW, I just called McMaster Carr because I was worried that I was going to get killed on shipping the 30 gal drum. NO. $7. Wow. So total (with locking lid) will be around $37. Not bad.

I think you could run a hose from a fitting on the dust bin lid down to a fitting on the bottom of the bin. You would need a quick disconnect but that might just be a nipple with the hose slid over it.
bababrown

I think you could run a hose from a fitting on the dust bin lid down to a fitting on the bottom of the bin. You would need a quick disconnect but that might just be a nipple with the hose slid over it.
bababrown

Brilliant! Can't believe I didn't think of that. And here I was planning to try to figure out where I could tie back into the duct work.

Back