Best location for blast gates?

Rushton

Bill Pentz recommends placing blast gates as close to the wye as possible: "The best place to put your blast gates is next to the wyes off your main line up high. The more open pipe or hose you leave exposed between the main run and the blast gate, the more resistance it causes." (Link)

A member of another forum claims just the opposite: "Put your blast gates next to the machine/where easiest to reach. A drop with a closed blast gate at the tool end is invisible to the system- absolutely no impact on SP or CFM. No need to put the blast gates near the main." (Link)

Assuming either location is easy to use and neither present a problem for using, what do members of the Clear Vue Forum believe to be the best location for optimal system performance?

I placed mine up "high". But my ceilings also are low so it is not a problem reaching the gates. I have heard members state that chips collect in the risers with gates placed low.
bababrown

Thanks. I might place mine "high" as well since my ceilings are also low. They would be in easy arm's reach (at least for me). Bill Pentz's opinion that more open pipe creates more resistance just intuitively makes sense to me.

My preference is to minimize the amount of flexible duct used and thus I place them where convenient to reach but close to the machine ports.

If you place them low and you need to make a 90, it might be worth a few extra dollars to place a Y at the bottom to facilitate clean out if required.

Back