Blower Unit Power....what type?

Shmudda

I have a New York Blower Series 20 GI Fan with a LS174 wheel. The unit came with a 10hp 3 phase ELECTRIC motor which I cannot power. I have a 13 hp internal combustion engine that will fit perfectly to drive this unit. My question here is: has anyone ever powered one of these fan/blowers with an internal combustion engine rather then an electric motor?

The unit from what I can see from online specs will be pulling around 2500 cfm and I worked out the sheave diameters to turn it at the spec of 2766 rpm, well within the engines capacity.

My plan is to build a subframe to mount the engine, and then attach a cyclone seperator to it and then vent it directly outside. My shop is not heated and most of my work is done between March thru November anyways, so ducting it back into the shop is not a desire of mine right now.

Would like opinons and suggestions on this please!!

Thanks,

Craig

That lot should move some air! The inconvenience of operation would be an issue for me. Starting, stopping, setting run speed every time you wanted to use it. Surely you would not leave it running while not using the system? Fuel is getting more expensive every day. Then of course there is the system you are going to drive with it, I suspect and I am no expert by the way that it will flow a lot more air than the average 5hp/15" fan on a ClearVue. It will do the job but are you prepared to put up with the inconvenience of it? BTW don't underestimate how much noise it will make.

Chris,

I have thought of all those things and here is what my take is on them:

Noise - I live in a rural area, so the noise will not be a problem. I plan on putting the whole system outside of the shop and it will be in an semi-enclosed structure to keep the weather off of it. Also, I will be able to vary the output just by engine rpm's, slowing it down for smaller tools and equipment.

Starting, stopping of the engine: The engine is a 13 hp with a starter, all I need is a battery. I plan on running another ignition switch into the shop for a remote starting capability, that way I can start/stop it from inside my shop without a hassle. As for throttle adjustment, I have another plan with a push rod that will extend into the shop for throttle control. Only problem will be the initial starting when I need a choke, after that it will be smooth sailing. As for run speed, I was thinking of installing a cheap tach to keep an eye on the RPM's and run it into the shop too, that way I can keep an eye on the rpms and cross reference them to a cfm flow rate too. It will fully adjustable depending on what I am doing at the time. Running the planer, turn it up, running the table saw, cut it back. It wont be used for anything other then the larger equipment. The smaller items I had purchased individual shop vac's that actually work quite well.

Fuel: This is a concern, but so is the 5hp electric motor with the (23) amp draw. The way my electric bill is going it will cost me an arm and leg to power that motor too. Tack both the 23 amps for the blower, and another 25-30 for the planer and I'm up to 55 amps or so to power those. True, they both wont be running all the time, but to power the blower at a constant 23 amps or more would get expensive too. Sort of pay to play anymore!!

Might not the the ideal situation, but its a good project for me.

Craig

Back