Blower Vac Conversion Lid

Bradman

Hi, I am interesting in this attachment, howeverI want to make sure it would work for my intended application.

I would be grinding concrete slabs, grinding thinset from slabs. The major concern with this is dust. I thought perhaps this attachment would contain most if not all the dust generated from this work.

Could water be added to the tank portion to help contain concrete dust?

Thank you,
Brad

Water

Water

Hi, Brad,

Suppose you could put some water in the bucket. I think they're wet/dry vacs.

I can't say I understand why you'd want to do that. Um, wouldn't that turn the resultant goo into concrete?

Once the dust falls into the main collection barrel, there it stays until you open it up to dump it. Similarly, if the dust is not ejected by the airstream by the cyclone and makes it to the filter, it will also stay there until you open it up.

Though not exactly the same product, I've hooked up the CV 06 Mini to a barrel and Fein shop vac, and used the combo to capture dust from a 220 grit sanding belt. On wood, MDF, hardwood plywood and aluminum, and creating some rather fine dust, possibly of similar size or smaller as compared to your concrete and thinset. The Mini separates out a good bit of the small stuff, but some still gets past the cyclone to the vac's filter. Start here and continue on for a few pics to get an idea of how well the cyclone works on fine dust.

Regards,
DWD

Last edited:
When grinding thinset or concrete it is 99% dust.

Not knowing of any testing with thinset and concrete I was concerned with its containment.

If only 75% is captured and other 25% makes it to filter. That is going to get clogged quick.

Will only a small percentage make it to the filter?

To buy a machine for this application will cost well over $1000.

If the attachment works for a super high concentrated dust stream then its worth a shot for me :)

Dust

Dust

Brad,

The Mini, and its application as part of the conversion lid, acts as a "prefilter". It removes larger chips and dust, and a portion of smaller particles. I don't think its designed to remove, oh, 95% of half micron dust, but it will keep some, maybe 50 or 75% out of the filter. If you couple the Mini with a CleanStream (HEPA) filter on the vac, then you'll have a clean airstream leaving the vac. The addition of the Mini doesn't preclude you from cleaning the filter, just extends the time between cleanings.

If the dust you're making is similar to drywall mud dust, then the Mini will keep some of it out of the filter, but not all.

Given your specs and requirements, its not clear to me if this sort of thing will meet your expectations, though it may. If its a water sort of filtration system you seek, the wife has a Rainbow for her house vac. It is, however, up there in the ballpark you quoted, a grand or more. But you might be able to find a decent used one, or one any local dealer might have taken in on trade. They work well, but do require that whatever is being vacuumed must be able to be wetted and thus trapped by the water bath. For example, fine plastic dust might not get captured by the Rainbow's water bath.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions for you. Though one might think getting the conversion lid and then acquiring the vac from Home Depot, if it doesn't meet your requirements, then you've got to find another use for the combo, home shop or garage cleaning for example.

Depending on where you are, you might be able to find a current CV customer who has a Mini and might agree to a short trial. Might be worth asking. I'm in the southern part of SC, close to Hilton Head and Savannah, GA, for example.

Regards,
DWD

Concrete Dust

Concrete Dust

Hi,

My own experience with grinding concrete with a diamond wheel on a side grinder was that it made a mess!! But on cleanup i'd have to say I only collected 50 percent and the rest was on the filter but I was collecting it off the floor which cuts down on the airflow. (not a sceintific test either) A stream from a machine will do better but I would be afraid to say how much. It has alot to do with the amount of product going in at once and particle size and particle density ie concrete dust will seperate better than sheetrock dust. Also a little bit cheaper route would be to go with the standalone mini at least for testing. And another side note is that we have sold these for the purposes you describe and have heard of good results and there again I don't know what type of machines they were using or particle sizes of their dust or the percentages of dust they seperated; just that they were happy. And one custumer is getting a 90+ percent recovery rate on ceramic dust on our full size units.

As dave noted water could be put in the bucket but it wouldn't accomplish what a rainbow does as the dust that the cyclone doesn't get goes straight into the filter and never reaches the water and the dust in the bucket stays in the bucket without water.

Anyway Dad has more feedback and information that he would be happy to talk to you about if you want to call him.

Matt

Back