Boston Area Sources?

Boston area sources

Boston area sources

Jon,
In the Nashua NH area I have not been able to find the thin wall D2729. However, 6" SDR-35 is readily available. One of our Lowes carries it and the local masonry supply house (Corriveau and Routhier) carries it. The big plumbing places either have it in stock or can get it ASAP. F E Webb and The Granite Group are two good candidates. I believe the Granite Group has many stores in your area. Also, many outfits carry only the fittings with gaskets because the slip-ons don't pass most sewer codes. Make sure you get the slip-on fittings because the gasketed fittings are a bear to put together.
Good luck,
bababrown

ok, so Water Works Supply, in Malden, does carry D35.

Nobody around here seems to carry 2729.

In theory, Tractor Supply in Leicester, MA should have it:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/plumbing/sewer-drainage-pipe-fittings/sewer-drain-pipe/pvc-drain-and-sewer-pipe-astm-d-2729-3179094?zoneMarketInfo=ZoneMarketInfo+{+zoneId%3D2%2C+marketId%3D16+}&reqUrl=TopCategoriesDisplayView&langId=-1&storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&zipcode=01778&ddkey=http:LocationBasedPricingCmd

But a call to the store revealed they were baffled.

However.

I just discovered that a local store carries 6" Schedule 40.

Is the only downside weight and cost?

Keep in mind, my DC run should (mostly) consist of a 16' run of 6", interspersed with 6-4-6 WYES, with 4" branches dropping to about a half dozen machines.

Given I won't need that many pieces, I'm tempted to spend the extra and get some snap lock spiral pipe.

Boston area supply

Boston area supply

Jon,
SDR-35 should be available in many places near you. Few people will know it as SDR-35. They'll refer to it as green or blue green 6" sewer pipe. The SDR-35 and D-2729 pipe both have the same outside diameter and the cyclone inlet is sized for it. The two differ in wall thickness; roughly 0.100 and 0.200". The D-2729 is referred to as thin wall pipe. Schedule 40 will not fit directly with the cyclone and is awfully heavy. Snap lock probably is a good choice. A few people have had their metal pipe made locally at good prices. Go thru the posts here to see those discussions.
bababrown

D-2729

Putnam Pipe in Hopkinton, MA carries it:

Putnam Pipe Corporation
86 Elm Street
Hopkinton, MA 01748
Toll Free: 1-855-GETPIPE
1-855-438-7473
Tel.: 508-435-3090

I also found some at Gilmore's, a farm supply store, in Walpole, MA.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gilmore's Inc
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1015 East Street
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walpole, MA 02081
508-668-2300
508-660-7675 FAX
[/FONT]

Putnam had something like 6 MILES of the stuff in stock. Gilmore's had maybe 20 lengths. But could get in more within a week. This was several months ago.

Can't remember the price(s), but it wasn't too bad. McMaster Carr was still better on the fittings, even including shipping.

The main reason that so few places stock it - other than the fact that there is not much call for it - is that there is a very high damage rate during shipping as it is so thin. According to the guy at Putnam, all they ship is pipe, so they have the handling and shipping down to a science.

Brian
Taxachusetts

D-2729

Putnam Pipe in Hopkinton, MA carries it:

Putnam Pipe Corporation
86 Elm Street
Hopkinton, MA 01748
Toll Free: 1-855-GETPIPE
1-855-438-7473
Tel.: 508-435-3090

I also found some at Gilmore's, a farm supply store, in Walpole, MA.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gilmore's Inc[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1015 East Street[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walpole, MA 02081[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]508-668-2300[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]508-660-7675 FAX[/FONT]

Putnam had something like 6 MILES of the stuff in stock. Gilmore's had maybe 20 lengths. But could get in more within a week. This was several months ago.

Can't remember the price(s), but it wasn't too bad. McMaster Carr was still better on the fittings, even including shipping.

The main reason that so few places stock it - other than the fact that there is not much call for it - is that there is a very high damage rate during shipping as it is so thin. According to the guy at Putnam, all they ship is pipe, so they have the handling and shipping down to a science.

Brian
Taxachusetts
Good and helpful post, Brian -- especially for those that live in NE and really want to take advantage of D2729 pipe. For those in the Carolinas, I found pipe and fittings in Spartanburg, SC several years ago for fair prices at a plumbing supply house called McRey's. According to Peter Jackson with this post last month, they still carry it.

Thanks for the info! In my search to find something closer to Cape Cod, I found that Ferguson Waterworks also carries D-2729 in their Canton, MA location and other locations (Worcester, Harwich, Raymond NH) can source it from there if they don't have it locally. They are also a few dollars cheaper that the others for the pipe.

Back