Can I dogleg the pipe to the collection bin ?

Jake Darvall

Hi again,

still looking for the ideal setup at my shop.

Realised that the awning may be a touch too low for the cyclone and the big bin I'd like to use.

An idea I got to fix that is to go with the bin down low again off the retainer wall, and have the cyclone waterproofed under the awning, as in the picture.

But I'm worried that the dog leg I'd have to put in the pipe to the collection bin may affect performance ?
downhill3.jpg

appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi,

You changed everything on me! I thought you were going to run the pipe parallel to the building so that you could filt the cyclone right next to the building which in turn would give you a little extra height. How tall are the side walls? That isn't the trash bin you are planning to use is it or have you already though how to seal it? That has to be airtight. In answer to your question I see no problem doing what you are asking about but we haven't tried that configuration ourselves so keep that in mind. I'll have dad take a look at this thread and add his thoughts if they are different than mine. Also do you mind if i move this thread to your other one so we can keep up with all the ideas that have been tossed around? It's fine if not.

Matt

Jake
The thing that you need to be aware of is the the wood dust/chips rely on gravity to drop into the dust bin. As long as there is sufficient angle on the pipe going to your bin to prevent the wood dust/chips collecting in the pipe rather than dropping into the bin I can not see that it will be a problem.

Hi,

You changed everything on me! I thought you were going to run the pipe parallel to the building so that you could filt the cyclone right next to the building which in turn would give you a little extra height. How tall are the side walls? That isn't the trash bin you are planning to use is it or have you already though how to seal it? That has to be airtight. In answer to your question I see no problem doing what you are asking about but we haven't tried that configuration ourselves so keep that in mind. I'll have dad take a look at this thread and add his thoughts if they are different than mine. Also do you mind if i move this thread to your other one so we can keep up with all the ideas that have been tossed around? It's fine if not.

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm fine with where you want to move things. I'm sorry if I put this thread in the wrong spot.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet to be quite honest.

I'm told my awning can't be as high as I origionally wanted. Has to be about 8.8 feet high at most (give or take a bit. I'm not used to imperial)

And I've got my heart set on using these large garbage bins that are collected each Monday. It just sounds great being able to just wheel it out to the curb, without having to empty it myself. There big 240L things but are about 3.5 feet high unfortunately(and I shouldn't have any problem sealing them I'm thinking)

Problem is combined the heights going to be higher than the awning.
(I'll stick a heap of pictures here, should I fail to explain it properly ;) I know I don't make sense sometimes.)
downhill4.jpg

So, that why I was think this time bringing it all down, with the bin off the retainer wall. With the cyclone under the awnings cover. And with it as close to the edge of the retainer wall, I'll have more room to insulate (was thinking a couple of insulated filled independent walls to help dampen noise. Thinking it may reduce ducting as well since I'm at machine height already...and also thinking that I can have a longer straight from the machine before I hit a bend (unlike if I would have it it was right up against the shed wall ?..remember Bill saying that its important for good seperation ?)

So end up with something like this ....with two main lengths of pipe running along the outside of the shed wall, turning in right on the machine, which I found appealing because it won't clutter the shops walls so much which I like to reserve for shelving and tools etc.
downhill6.jpg

downhill5.jpg

I don't know really whats best. Seems to be so many options. uno.

Thanks Al and Ed.

I like your idea Ed. Just make the tilt equal to the inlets angle to bring my long straight horizontal.

Problem solved ! ta.

Last edited:
Bins

Bins

Jake,

Couple more things for you to check whilst scheming this plan, specifically the bins.

Our current household bin, of similar design, does not have the axle go through the garbage area, I just checked ours. But I have seen some that do. That'll lead to sealing problems.

Second, check out the material your bins are made of. If the plastic is sort of soft and squishy, the suction of the cyclone might cause it to collapse. Others have noted this phenomenon with Minis hooked up to high suction shop vacs. The lower suction pressure of the larger, high flow cyclones might mean this isn't that big a problem for the full size machines, but I think it would behoove you to inspect the plastic from which yours are made. If you can easily dent the stuff with hand pressure, you may want to search for another bin.

Regards,
DWD

About using the plastic garbage cans, there is a considerable vacuum in the lower part of the cyclone and dust bin. So much that it will collapse the domed lid, shrink(shorten) the connecting hose and lift an empty 33gal metal can off the ground.
If they work, it's a great idea and alot less trouble.
Good luck.

Thankyou kindly. Hadn't thought of that either. The whole ideas based on the use of this large wheely bin.

I had always thought them to be heavy duty bins. I remember loading one up with stones and it handled it fine...but I don't really know.

I'll go and have another look at it now.

I particularily wanted a sizeable bin. Whenever I see pictures of cyclones with those small trashcan bins I start to think that I'd be forever emptying the things.

Bins

Bins

Hi,

If you can sqeeze the sides in with your hands when the lid is on(don't have to stand it) then more than likely it will collapse or collapse enough to cause a leak at the lid. If those are the trash company's cans are you sure they won't mind you cutting a hole in the top or were you planning to make a seperate lid? You can do just about anything you have discussed and it's just a matter of preference now that you have so many more ideas. :D

Matt

The vacuum from the cyclone is about .5 pound per square inch so a 36 inch by 36 inch square will have about 650 pounds pulling on it. A round container can handle that alot better than a container with flat sides on it.

Last edited:
I particularily wanted a sizeable bin. Whenever I see pictures of cyclones with those small trashcan bins I start to think that I'd be forever emptying the things.

Jake
Have thought about using a 44 Gal metal drum?

As for emptying the dust bins, It depends on what you are doing, if your using a table saw or band saw you wont have anywhere near the amount of material that you would have if you are using a thicknesser/planer, jointer or lathe.

:D I'm really enjoying the problem solving Matt. Thanks all for working through this with me. The only experience I've had with dust extraction up till recently is the on/off switch and belt bags and dust in my face.

Hi,

If you can sqeeze the sides in with your hands when the lid is on(don't have to stand it) then more than likely it will collapse or collapse enough to cause a leak at the lid. If those are the trash company's cans are you sure they won't mind you cutting a hole in the top or were you planning to make a seperate lid? You can do just about anything you have discussed and it's just a matter of preference now that you have so many more ideas. :D
I can only squeeze in the sides maybe 1/4" at the most. Its hard for me to see how the machine would collapse it so much it crack. But, then I've never seen this machine in action.

Maybe the lid though....but what I was thinking of doing was, like you mentioned, was just making a lid myself....so I don't have to modify the existing bin (so I don't bother the garbage people), just flip it over and tie down my lid with a seal of sorts under it (rubber ?) and bungy cord it down like I remember reading on these forums. ???

Failing that just go for your 44 gal drum idea Al.

Lots of lathe work mostly. I suppose I'm relating to the thicknesser we have at work, when picturing how fast they fill. Be nothing like that at home. We've got this big old thing that takes 5mm passes. The old cyclone bag there fills up seemly too fast. I try not to be using the machine when its near full :p Hellava job emptying it. very heavy.

Back