can someone review the CV electrical setup?

joshua5

ok, so let's say you want to buy a CV cyclone. you'll need to run orange romex (10 guage) to a 240 outlet with a 30 amp breaker which can handle the start up amperage (right?). if you wanted to put it on remote control, i believe most say don't use an X10. what is the easiest way to set this up? i don't need fancy or complicated. i don't need automatic gates or anything. just want a way to press a remote to turn it on/off. there is a 110 outlet near the CV that i plan on plugging a fan and maybe a light into. it's on the same switch as my shop lights. any help would be greatly appreciated!

By installing a relay to switch your 220 line on/off you will now have a low load 110V (if that is the voltage of the coil on your relay) control line. This control line can be switched by a light switch, bin sensor, tool starter etc and any combination of these.

By installing a relay to switch your 220 line on/off you will now have a low load 110V (if that is the voltage of the coil on your relay) control line. This control line can be switched by a light switch, bin sensor, tool starter etc and any combination of these.

ok perfect! um.... what's that mean? is this a product that you plug into a 110V outlet that the cyclone (240V) can also be plugged into? or is this something i need to make? if i need to make it, does anyone have a simple schematic? i'm not trying to be lazy, i just have to be pretty economical with my time as i have 4 kids - the youngest is only 3 days old! i probably won't get to this project for quite some time but it's cool to think about how i might set things up. thanks again!

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

The CV kit comes with a 240V relay with a 120V coil. This means that you need to apply 120V to the coil to close the relay and apply power to the motor. Any method of applying 110V to the coil is acceptable. The documentation has a recomended remote control that runs around $25 at Ace Hardware.

Keep in mind that the relay uses 120V. You will want to run 4-wire romex so you have access to the neutral (white) wire in addition to black, red, and green.

Steve

Welcome Joshua!
It really is pretty easy. The way I did mine was to wire the 220 wiring with the 2 hot wires running to one side of the relay, wire from the motor to the other side of the relay. Tie the grounds from both sets of wires together. There are 2 electrical legs on the sides of the relays, one on each side. I wired the end of an electrical cord to those to be the trigger wire. Plugging it into a 110 outlet closes the relay and sends the power to the motor to start it spinning. I wired my 110 outlet to be turned on and off by a light switch. I can still get a remote, plug the 110 trigger end to the output of the remote, and plug the remote into the switched outlet. At this point, the light switch becomes a master on/off switch. I've never seen the need for the remote though.
There used to be a diagram on the Clear Vue web site. I think there is one also on Bill Pentz's web pages. Jim.

edit: Here is the page from the CV site: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ClearVue Installation Instructions 2009.pdf starts at page 23.

Last edited:
Back