Canadian sources for filters

R and D Nikkel

Not a lot of choice here that I have found, but here goes my results from my hunt.

Wynn Environmental is in the States only - no Canadian distributors. If you live close enough to the border to drive down and pick up the filters there, that is your cheapest option. If, like us, you live far enough north that you can't do that, they will ship them to you. Shipping quotes we got was $72.00 US EACH, and since they won't send by mail, only UPS, you have brokerage ($40.00 at least) and other fees as well.

Camfil Farr (www.camfilfarr,com) is a Canadian source for the Farr filters. Unfortunately for us price wise, they have just replaced the #125154-005 filter with the "new and improved" #211736-1 HemiPleat filter. The quote I was given by one of their distributers was $215.00 EACH. So that is the best there will be out there in the future to my knowledge at this time.

In looking for these filters, I did find a place that cleans them (McWinn cleaning system - www.mcwinn.ca) - for, apparently, half the price of a new filter. They say they can be cleaned 6 - 8 times.

For ourselves, however, a very helpful lady in the Camfil Farr office in Winnipeg was able to find 3 of the old filters in Vancouver, two of which are being shipped to us via bus. So our filters are costing substantially less than "the wave of the future", but we seriously need to be looking at how to make a sensor so we don't overfill the bin. I don't want to be replacing these anytime soon.

For what it's worth, the shipping on those filters is substantial even if you live in the United States. The figure I'm remembering was something like $25-$30 dollars each. That's nowhere near $70 each, but it is still enough to make one think hard about it.

The filters are definitely big enough to incur oversize charges from UPS, which explains some of the high cost of shipping. They aren't particularly lightweight either. Even though the shipping charges are high, I don't think they are outside the upper end of the reasonable range.

Just an update on the "Canadian Filter Situation".

I went out to Camfil-Farr in Coquitlam BC (suburban Vancouver) this afternoon and picked up a pair of 211736-1 cartridge filters (34" x 12 3/4") at $126 each. This is a lot better than the $215 quoted in the older posting, and they had 47 in stock. Note however that these filters are flanged at one end and closed at the other end, so it will be necessary for me to cut out the closed ends. They claim that these hemipleated filters will last twice as long and offer only 1/2 the pressure drop of other filters. The older 125154-005 filter is no longer available, none left in stock.

I figured this was a still better option than ordering the Wynn filters at $73 each, plus $20 or so shipping to the border, plus a trip over the border to pick them up.

Probably the best option though, for those who can plan a bit better than I, is to order their part number 214455-001 for $121. This is the same as the 211736-1, but is open on both ends, so you don't have to cut them out. It is a non-stocked item so you'll have to order it and wait for it to get built/delivered (figure a few weeks I imagine). Apparently they had previously delivered a pair of these to Calgary. I think this is what I'll order when it is time to replace the pair I just bought.

Anyways, I'll be cutting some holes in the bottoms shortly, if it doesn't work out I'll post an update here about it. Otherwise, assume it went fine. (Edit: It was very easy, I just drilled a hole big enough to fit a jigsaw blade it, and sawed out the opening I wanted. Careful not to touch the filter with the sawbalde.)

FYI, they told me to (gently) blow compressed air on them from the outside to clean them off, and that they should last about 3 years. I figure since I am a hobbiest, not an industrial user I should get better longevity than that.

Last thing, if you take them out of the box you can fit a pair in the back of a Smart car!

Dan

Last edited:
Today I ordered a pair of Farr APC Hemipleat elements directly from Camfil Farr in Arkansas. I was able to negotiate a unit price of $US80.00 ea ($CAD100.00 ea) for the #214455-001 (Open both ends) as recommended by Dan.
I will find out what UPS does to the final cost. The company would not ship USPS.

Don

Don, Good work on that. With the $Cdn a bit less favourable these days it is not a slam dunk that stuff'll be cheaper down south. I'd be interested to see what the final cost is when they arrive at your shop, but my guess is that UPS will open both barrels at you. The items are bulky and relatively pricey (I was told that stuff under $20 in value UPS won't hit you with brokerage fees) so I wouldn't be surprised to see the cost go up over buying local. Let us know. Cheers, Dan

Farr Filters

Farr Filters

Well I got my 2 Camfil Farr elements.
2 #214455001 Elements @ $80.00 ea $160.00
Freight prepaid from Riverdale NJ $112.90
US Funds $272.90 @ 1.28777 CAD $351.43
UPS charged me another $64.00 for tax, duty and brokerage. So that put my landed cost at around CAD$200.00 per element
Camwill Farr kind of pee'd me off by not even considering using USPS.
That cost me $50.00 in brokerage, I don't know how much in actual freight. USPS rates can be very attractive.

I can only hope that I have a good element and that the Clear Vue delivers the truly superior separation that I have read about. And even if they need repalcing every couple of years it is a small price to pay to keep the lungs going a few more years.

Don

Don,

That sucks. Probably would have been slightly cheaper to order from their branch in Coquitlam if you could get cheap shipping (Greyhound?) to your town. I agree that USPS would have been cheaper, too bad they would not consider it. At least you've got your filters now. Good luck with them!

Dan

Buy from a Canadian Filter Manufacturer

Buy from a Canadian Filter Manufacturer

Guys,

We are a manufacturer of replacement dust collector filters based out of Milton, ON. Call us for all your dust collector requirements Toll Free @ 866-525-5673

Thanks

Firoz

Fab-Tex in Burlington Ontario

Fab-Tex in Burlington Ontario

Great guys to deal with, fast service....picked up two farr filters for 200 bucks taxes in.

We are a manufacturer of replacement dust collector filters based out of Milton Freight prepaid from Riverdale NJ $112.90

Back