Canadian sources for PVC pipe

R and D Nikkel

OK. After way too many hours on the net, on the phone etc. this is what I have found out. I hope it may help a few other Canadians out there dealing with the same system I have been.

Most pipe available in Canada is CSA (Canadian Standards Association) 182.1, which may, or may not, depending on the type, be equivalent to SDR35 - the more expensive stuff you read about on some sites. It has a wall thickness of 4.19 to 4.55 mm for 150mm (6") pipe. The ASTM D2729 is the American Standards number, and most people in Canada don't seem to know what you are talking about. It has a wall thickness of 2.54 mm for a 6" pipe. I found out that you should ask for Sewer Drainline, not drain pipe, to get people even thinking about the thinner walled pipe.

I found what I needed at IPEX (www.ipexinc.com), a company that does business all over North America but with corporate offices in Toronto and Montreal. Under Contact Us there are phone numbers for Canadian cities.

IPEX makes ASTM D2729 pipe. It is stamped as such on the pipe I picked up today. It is not CSA approved, which is why most people don't carry it, or know about it. But if you know what to ask for (particularly if the guy at IPEX says, "Phone this place and tell this guy that I sent you."), you can get the right stuff. The place I was sent also gave me a deal on the price (about half what they normally charge, which tells you a lot about the mark up on these things...). And it was less than a third of the CSA 182.1 stuff I could get anywhere else.

So, here are the IPEX part numbers to ask for:

6" pipe, comes in 10' lengths - #005260
6" 45 degree bend - #040506
6" to 2, 6" Wye - #040306
6" to one 6" and one 4" Wye - #040307
6" to 4" Reducing Bushing - #040896

Hope it helps someone else. This has been a two month long hunt for me.

If you go to the www.ipexinc.com site, under contact us you will find a phone number for their office in Saskatoon - Tel. (306) 933-4664. Tell them what you want, and give them their own item numbers if the person you talk to doesn't seem to know what you are talking about. Ask them where a supplier close to you can be found, since they don't sell direct, but only through their suppliers. The guy in Edmonton was very good for me, giving me a place relatively close and a name to contact. All the best in your search.

The discount was a nice perk for us from the supplier in Peace River we got the materials from. The pipe is substantially cheaper than the regular pipe anyway. It was the fittings they gave us a deal on, just because they were being nice that day. When you phone IPEX, ask about where they would recommend you get the stuff. You need to get it somewhere relatively close, or the shipping on this big, bulky but light stuff will negate any deal you might have made. The man I talked to in Edmonton was really good in giving me "suggestions" about where to go. Hopefully you will find the same kind of customer service in Sask.

Just remembered another source you might want to try if you are in south west Saskatchewan. I called Western Industrial (or International, I have it written both ways and don't know which is correct) Plastics in Calgary. 403-291-1579. They import the S&D from the States. The guy there quoted me $2.00 a foot for the pipe and $10 - $20 for the fittings. No specific prices because he said the cost of shipping up here would be too much to try to buy from him. (He was also laughing too hard at the prices I told him I was quoted.) But may be worth your while to try them if the distance isn't too great.

Just as a note, don’t forget to visit the neighbor who seems to have stocks of almost anything in their yard. It doesn't matter what country you are in, those neighbours seem to be everywhere. Now that we have the piping pretty much completed, we found out that they have not only 6”, but also 8” (which we could have used for the exhaust) and also 10” (if it would ever come in handy) which has been lying around for ages and which he would have been willing to give us. I am consoling myself with the knowledge that at least my search got me the fittings much cheaper, which more than made up for the cost of the 20’ of pipe we bought.

Packrat

Packrat

Alas, here I seem to be that guy! Only met one other in my life who seems to be worse, and that's my father in law.

Regards

DWD

Believe it or not, we've found a use for the 10 inch. I hope to post pictures of the whole shootin' match in the gallery when we have it up and running (close, very close) IF I can figure out how to do the picture thing. Then you can see how we used it.

OK.
... I hope it may help a few other Canadians out there dealing with the same system I have been. I found what I needed at IPEX (www.ipexinc.com),

Thanks for this! Im wondering if you used Lee Valley 6" blast gates?
How would they fit this pipe? If not, what did you use?

Also I'm looking for supplier of smooth inside 6" flex pipe. Anybody know of a source close to Vancouver? I heard Grizzly in Bellingham might have this but anyone in B.C.?

And any ideas how to go from 7" metal to 6" pvc? or 6" metal spiral pipe to 6" pvc?

If you are looking for a a 6x6x3.5 takeoff, I suppose you could use the

Thanks,
RJ

RJ,
The thin walled pipe and the thicker walled pipe (SDR 35 - common in Canada) both have the same OD, which means the ID on the thin walled pipe is larger. The Lee Valley gates are made to fit the SDR 35 and rattle around a bit inside the thinner walled pipe. We used the ones from Ed that came with our Clear Vue. We only needed one extra, and had a short bit of the SDR 35 to connect between the blast gate and the fitting on one side and the flex hose on the other. If you haven't ordered your CV yet, I would say to figure out how many you need and get him to ship you that number. It would just be easier. (Though Ed, we have had problems on the odd occation with them getting chips in the corners and needing to be cleaned out. Easy enough to do though. Ever thought of making the self cleaning ones?)

We got our 6" flex hose from Lee Valley, and really like their bridge clamps as well. They have a store in Vancouver - 1180 S.E. Marine Drive. 604-261-2262. At this time of year, I would really recommend doing their "call ahead and pay by credit card and come and pick it up" thing rather than standing in the line of Christmas shoppers.

We don't have answers for the rest of your questions. I expect others here do. Let us know how it goes, eh?

Most pipe available in Canada is CSA (Canadian Standards Association) 182.1, which may, or may not, depending on the type, be equivalent to SDR35 - the more expensive stuff you read about on some sites. It has a wall thickness of 4.19 to 4.55 mm for 150mm (6") pipe.

The ASTM D2729 is the American Standards number, and most people in Canada don't seem to know what you are talking about. It has a wall thickness of 2.54 mm for a 6" pipe. I found out that you should ask for Sewer Drainline, not drain pipe, to get people even thinking about the thinner walled pipe.

Hi,
I found 182.1 pipe at Woolsley, in B.C. Pricey at $48 for 10' of pipe. They have lots of fittings. Dimensions are 6 5/16 OD, and 5 7/8 ID, so for ID, the Lee Valley Blast Gates with a 5 7/8 OD collar just fit INSIDE these nicely I would think. I est. wall thickness at 5/32" The ID, 6 5/16 is 150mm which is shy of 6".

You say the ASTM D2729 has a wall thickness of 2.54 mm for a 6" pipe. IF this pipe is the same dia as SDR35 - 6 5/16"??? - then less 2.54mm (1/10") x 2 = about 6" or 6 1/16, so the lee valley collar at 5 5/8 would slop around by about 1/8" space or a bit more on one side.

So, you used this thin wall stuff, and Ed's clearview gates fit over it. And for the one lee valley gate you got the thicker pipe.

From your tip, I will phone [FONT=&quot]www.ipexinc.com for a supplier of the thinwall pipe that does not match Lee Valley Gates. So that raises some questions:
1. What to wrap around the Lee Valley Gates collar to make them wider to fit inside the thinwall pvc? This solution obstructs airflow as the lee valley collar plus widening are in the airstream.

2. If I have to do a run of 5" pipe, what is a good way to make the transition from this thinwall pvc to 5"? For the 5", I was thinking of metal since there is no 5" pvc.
I guess I would have to get a 6" to 5" metal reducer but [/FONT]IF this pipe is the same dia as SDR35 - 6 5/16"??? then that would not fit. So what I am asking is what the external diameter of the SDR35 pipe actually is? How to make it fit....cut slits and wrap plus crimp? OR are the sizes just too miss-matched?

Thanks for your help,
RJ

Last edited:
RJ
The specific wall thickness in mms was from the ipex spec sheet. We just went and measured what we have. The thin walled was 6 1/4 OD and 6" ID. The SDR 35 was 6 1/4" OD and 5 7/8" ID. So that fits with your figuring, and with the Lee Valley gates. Ed's gates fit well over both types of pipe.

Not sure what to do to make the LV gate fit well into the other pipe, and it will restrict air flow a certain amount. Why are you wanting to reduce to a 5" pipe? From what we understand, it is better to stay larger as much as you can, since the 5" will cut your air flow as well.

By the way, the $48.00 for 10 feet beat the two quotes I got up here - $75.00 and $110.00. No, I am NOT joking!!

PS. I just checked and the writing on our green pipe says SDR-35 and B182.2. So they are the same.

Last edited:
By the way, the $48.00 for 10 feet beat the two quotes I got up here - $75.00 and $110.00. No, I am NOT joking!!

Wow. Metal spiral custom made for dust collection (smooth inside) costs 2.50 linear foot. For the 3 costs above, thats $4.89, or $7.50, or $11/ft, all for the same product. Sure pays to compare when you shop.

You found rare parts in Peace River????

You found rare parts in Peace River????

R&D Nikkel,

I have been collecting recipes, plans, and ideas off the web for years. I am always scratching my head over American products and parts that I can't find in my little northern town. Imagine my pleasant surprise to find that you came to Peace River to find one of the parts I have searched hard for.

Can you share where you got this stuff in Peace River?

Tim in Peace River

Tim,
We got our stuff at Bartle and Gibson. The lady who I dealt with is no longer there, so I don't know if that will make a difference in price or not, but they can definitely get the stuff from IPEX in Edmonton.

Thanks,

I just came back from B&G. The regular thick wall PVC is 8.50/ft, thin wall special order is $6.60. Regular ABS is $5.50/ft.

Does this sound similar to your price?

OK. After way too many hours on the net, on the phone etc. this is what I have found out. I hope it may help a few other Canadians out there dealing with the same system I have been.

Most pipe available in Canada is CSA (Canadian Standards Association) 182.1, which may, or may not, depending on the type, be equivalent to SDR35 - the more expensive stuff you read about on some sites. It has a wall thickness of 4.19 to 4.55 mm for 150mm (6") pipe. The ASTM D2729 is the American Standards number, and most people in Canada don't seem to know what you are talking about. It has a wall thickness of 2.54 mm for a 6" pipe. I found out that you should ask for Sewer Drainline, not drain pipe, to get people even thinking about the thinner walled pipe.

I found what I needed at IPEX (www.ipexinc.com), a company that does business all over North America but with corporate offices in Toronto and Montreal. Under Contact Us there are phone numbers for Canadian cities.

IPEX makes ASTM D2729 pipe. It is stamped as such on the pipe I picked up today. It is not CSA approved, which is why most people don't carry it, or know about it. But if you know what to ask for (particularly if the guy at IPEX says, "Phone this place and tell this guy that I sent you."), you can get the right stuff. The place I was sent also gave me a deal on the price (about half what they normally charge, which tells you a lot about the mark up on these things...). And it was less than a third of the CSA 182.1 stuff I could get anywhere else.

So, here are the IPEX part numbers to ask for:

Very valuable information! Thank you very much!!

Canadian S and D pipe

Canadian S and D pipe

This was very useful. Thanks.
There is a Wolsley (spelling?) dealer in Regina as well. Very knowledgeable and helpful on the phone. Prices didn't seem unreasonable after getting quotes from metal fabricators.
Another good Canadian source for metal ductwork and fittings and very reasonable prices was Welbeck, in Ontario, but they have a website.

Red Deer, Alberta Source

Red Deer, Alberta Source

I called Ipex who then directed me to 3 sources of fittings and sewer drain line ASTM D2729 in Red Deer. I ended up buying it from Emco 403 343-7391. Woolsey also sells an equivalent sewer drain line and fittings.

Back