capacity

Hi,

I don't know that we have tested it on anything other than a Shop Vacuum. I have hooked it to out CV1800 but that is less CFM through the mini because of the Static pressure or lack of. What do you want to hook it to?

Matt

Hi,
What do you want to hook it to?

Just curious. Initially an ordinary shop vacuum. Perhaps something more powerful later or perhaps not.

I don't know enough about the behaviour of cyclones to even have an idea of what to expect.

In general for cyclones:
- When air flow decreases ...
-- does dust separation increase or decrease?
-- is there a point where the spiral air flow breaks down - short circuit?
- When air flow increases ...
- Is there an optimal flow rate for a given cyclone?

best regards
Lars

Hi,

In general for cyclones:
- When air flow decreases ...
- When air flow increases ...

Generally Seperation gets worse with less CFM and as far as I can tell the smallest amount of airflow spins in the cyclone and seperation gets better the faster the product spins(CFM).

- Is there an optimal flow rate for a given cyclone?

Yes there is but keep in Mind that We use these on a wide range of particle sizes, Vacuums and Product flow and they work extremely well. Here's a link to A Study on the mini if you haven't found it already..... http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/John Hopkins.html

Hope this helps,

Matt

Lars,
We are not experts in this field but I will try to answer your question. It is my understanding that the faster you spin the air inside of a cyclone the better it will be at separating the fine dust....up to a point. After that point, the air will become more turbulent and the separation efficiency will go down. I don't know what that point is so I can't even give you an educated guess. I know it's beyond what we are doing with the Mini on a shop vac pulling about 200 CFM or on the CV1800 moving about 1500 CFM. Also, before you waste any money on a larger blower for the mini, realize that it would have to be a vacuum type blower pulling at least 100 inches of SP. Our 15", 5hp blower only produces about 14" of Static Pressure (suction) so it wouldn't move as much air through a 2" pipe as a shop vac. The typcial vacuum motor spins between 18,000 and 22,000 RPM and has about a 5" aluminum impeller on it. That's why it produces so much suction but at a relatively low volume. Hope this helps.

If you are interested in reading some information from an expert in the field, Dr Louis Stein wrote a book on the subject. Here is a link to his information: http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Stein_Louis_945408965.aspx

Regards,

Ed

Back