Ceiling Height

bjepps

I am seriously considering a clearview dc as I believe them to be superior in design. I have seen some threads regarding low ceiling heights for an 1800. I have 74 1/2" to the bottom of my floor joists and 95" to the bottom of the subfloor above. My shop is in the basement so cutting through is not an option or I would be instantly living alone. It would appear the only option is to have a homemade dust bin rather than a trash can or some sort of barrel beneath the cyclone. I also don't consider positioning the dc on a 45 degree angle as an option as one post suggested. I would appreciate any thoughts that are out there short of moving.

With 95" to the subfloor above, you should be able to get a CV1800 in, but you will likely need to use a shorter dust bin. Just be certain that it is air tight and solidly built. If possible, avoid attaching the unit to the joists above or you will transmit vibration (noise) into the structure and folks above you won't appreciate it! You also need to leave some gap below the top of the motor for ventilation.

Bjepps, I have a 100 in. ceiling and used a 30 gal. metal trash can that I cut 5 in. off the bottom and then reattached the bottom. You would need to take another 5-6 in. off of it but you may not be able to reattach the end and would have to make a new end. You also need to have about 6 in. of flex hose to the cyclone to be able to get the lid off. That might make it too small depending on how much dust and chips you make. You could make one with a larger dia. for more capacity. The dust and chips get thrown to the edge of the bin as it fills to the top but I don’t know how big it could be. The Clearvue is the way to go!

Thanks

Thanks

These ideas and thoughts are very helpful, thanks. I guess it's time to order the cyclone and get busy.

Bob

Back