Cement form tubes for ducting?

Nowl Guitars

Are there any problems with using round cement form tubes for the bulk of your dust collection ducting? They are 1/4" wall thickness made from a heavy fiber/paper material. They are very smooth inside.

They are a fraction of the cost of spiral metal tubing. An 8" diameter X 4 foot long piece is about $7.00 where a metal tube is about $25.00 for a 5 foot length.

I build guitars and collect mainly fine sanding dust from a drum sander, spindle sander, random orbit sander. I use a jointer about once every two weeks and my planer once every few months.

Joel

Joel,

I guess they should work - for awhile.
1. OD of tube should be as close as possible to ID of fitting.
2. The edge facing the dust stream will see a certain amount of abrasion. The layers of will start to separate.
3. The smooth surface could also abrade over time and cause increased friction.

Whether any of this will happen in your lifetime - who knows. If it does, is it significant - who knows.
Buil so that if you have to change them out - you can.
I found the tube cost to be quite insignificant when compared to the cost of the fittings.

Don

They are a fraction of the cost of spiral metal tubing. An 8" diameter X 4 foot long piece is about $7.00 where a metal tube is about $25.00 for a 5 foot length.

Joel,

FYI, I was charged less than $20 for a 10 ft. stick of 7" spiral pipe. 8" seems like it would be too big and you risk losing too much velocity, particularily in the vertical runs.

Nick

Joel,

FYI, I was charged less than $20 for a 10 ft. stick of 7" spiral pipe. 8" seems like it would be too big and you risk losing too much velocity, particularily in the vertical runs.

Nick

You're right Nick, I missed that - unless he has a MAX

Don

Don,

Wouldn't he want to split the 8" soon after the cyclone entrance even with a MAX?

Also, I 100% concur about the fittings being the expensive part. I spent many times as much on fittings as I did on actual pipe.

Nick

Don,

Wouldn't he want to split the 8" soon after the cyclone entrance even with a MAX?

Also, I 100% concur about the fittings being the expensive part. I spent many times as much on fittings as I did on actual pipe.

Nick

The Max is rated at 500 cfm more than the basic CV so I would assume it could handle an 8" main for whatever length is required.
We don't know if he has a Max though.

Don

Back