Chips pulled back out of collection bin?

DylanG

I'm new to dust collection and am in the process of getting my newly installed CV1800 hooked up to all of my machines. I have noticed that when I open a blast gate small wood chips start swirling in the cyclone. I'm assuming that these chips as being picked up out of the collection bin as this is before I operate any machines (I've been using it for about two weeks having hooked up my tablesaw first). It seems like the longer that I have the cyclone running with a open blast gate the more chips get suspended in the cyclone. The chips are swirling in the entire funnel section of cyclone. Once I close the blast gate pretty much all the chips settle into the collection bin. I'm aware from reading here and else where on the internet that chips swirling is fairly common and not necessarily a problem. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it sounds like things are functioning properly or not? I think that I'm (finally) getting a good seal on the collection bin lid and flex hose. So far I've not had any chips show up in the filter clear out box. Due to the low ceiling in my basement shop area I'm using a 20 gallon metal trash can as my collection bin and even had to cut the flex hose down to about 4" to fit it under the cyclone.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dylan

McRabbet

Senior Forum Member
I suspect that you have leakage into your dust bin around the lid or where you have connected the flexible duct or the collar. You can check for any leakage using a smoke source such as an incense stick or a lit cigarette. Any leakage will create backflow up into the cyclone and it will reduce the effectiveness of the separation down the cone. If you find you do not have leaks, another possibility is turning off the cyclone prematurely when finishing a particular operation, leaving dust and chips in the ductwork that will get picked up when you re-start the cyclone. I usually leave my cyclone running for at least 30 seconds after shutting down a connected machine that I have been using to insure all chips are collected.

DylanG

I did the smoke test again Monday morning, and while I didn't locate any leaks around the lid I wouldn't be surprised if a small leak escaped detection due to the shape of the trash can lid. I also tried putting a garbage bag over the trash can. Which also wasn't very definitive, but assuming that I got it sealed seems to indicate a very minor leak maybe. Most often I leave the blast gate open for quite a while (minutes) after making a cut so I don't think that what I'm seeing is stuff that was left in the ducts. I guess that I will try making a wooden lid for the trash can soon and see if that works better. At any rate that will make it easier to remove the can as it's really stuck under the lip right now.

Fingerpicker

Dylan, I just saw your post from April and hope that you found and fixed your leak. I made a wood lid for my trash can and routed a groove in the bottom of the plywood for the rim of the can and used a foam gasket in the groove. It has worked great since I put the system together in 2013. Another source of leaks with metal trash cans may be the vertical seam on the side of the can. It should be well sealed with silicone caulk. If I can remember how, I will add a photo or two of my can lid. IMG_3240.JPG Dust Bin, Cleanout Box, Bin Sensor & Filters.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Dust Bin, Cleanout Box, Bin Sensor & Filters.jpg
    Dust Bin, Cleanout Box, Bin Sensor & Filters.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1

DylanG

That's basically exactly what I ended up making to replace the metal trash can lid. I when I started using it I immediately noticed that it's much quieter with the wooden lid but I'm still seeing material that is getting pulled back out of the trash can to spin around inside the cyclone. I was never able to definitively rule a leak so I kind of shrugged it off and moved on with life. My concern with is this normal or not is I'd like to avoid plugging up the filters prematurely. I have wondered about if my initial siliconeing of the seams of the trash can wasn't good enough. I guess next time I empty the trash can I'll try reapplying the silicone, I've also been thinking to line the can with a garbage bag.

Last edited: