Closet Size for Newbie?

tfrdds

I'm planning on buying the CV1800 and space is a huge issue. What do you think the required interior space of the closet would be to house the cyclone, filter, and a pancake compressor ( placed probably next to the metal can)? Thanks, Tom

Closet Size

Closet Size

Mine is 48" X 48" outside (40" X 40" inside) and there is enough room for a pancake compressor. I think you could get by with a little less depth but not much less width. If room is a big issue you might think about an external shed. There is some discussion in a recent post on this same issue; in the Noise section.
bababrown

Hi there,

Did you use 2 X 6 for the walls with exposed insulation bats on the inside? Double gypsum on the outside of the closet walls ? I'm open to all ideas. Thanks, tom

Hi,

There are some drawing specs here. Please Keep in mind that if you try to build a room that small that it will require some thought on hanging it, an access panel for thermal overload switch and initial wiring and a wide door for removal of trash can and filter cleaning. It can be done but it's a little tough installing it. I like a little bit bigger room myself but I put a 7.5 hp 60 gallon air compressor in mine so it's 4 x 8 and on the outside of my shop and it's sheetrocked and lined with carpet. If I had to do over again I would still do 2 x 4 construction with pink insulation and then I would cover the inside with rockwool (rockwul) batting 2" thick. and plywood or osb on the outside. There's a video where we try to demonstrate the loudness of the unit but of course we had already installed the rockwool batting and that was a sheetrocked closet with no insulation in the walls. First Video on this page. I know there are a lot of photos in the gallery but you will have to browse or someone might post some direct links as I just can't keep up with where everyone's photos are.

I hope that will give you some ideas for any cyclone install as they are all loud!

Matt

P.S. I am not sure about the size of this closet but it looks minimal and he posted some sound measurements in the forums here. And there's alot of Information in this Search especially the first one. Also there's a few shots of jameel's shop with machine's and ducting here. I know those are all the same person but that's about the last time I kept up with closets. There's alot of good ones in the gallery.

Last edited:
Closet Size

Closet Size

Tom,
I did mine outside my basement shop and above it in a separate building so noise control was/is not a big problem. I went with 2X4 walls with faced fiberglass inside and OSB with cementious siding on the outside. The noise in the shop is dominated by air noise at the open hoods with the cyclone noise like a distant whine. I really like the outside install. The continuous air noise is tedious but not harmful. Foam earplugs help. I'd add to Matt's post that Ed shows a chimney in one of their videos to pull the heat out of the top of the closet. There are quite a few posts and many examples in the gallery.
bababrown

Yeah I had forgotten about that chimney recommendation but it's in the video. I am going to take my cyclone down soon and add that and the rockwool batting and i had heard about someone adding a muffler inbetween the cyclone and the ducting to help with the noise from open pickups....Don't know if it worked or not but have thought about trying it. I'll probably wait on someone else to do that first though .;) Laziness gets the best of me sometimes and as bababrown said the foam earplugs work well for me also. It's quiet enough but with machines and the dustcollector running continuously my shop gets a little loud. I am not sure if this is bababrown's shed or not but another nice shed. Please forgive me for not being good with names if i got the wrong gallery. Click on the picture to take to his gallery Also on page three he has some charts that you may find interesting. Good work by the way! I know there's a thread somewhere.

Matt

Hey Matt and Baba B....

Thanks for all the advice. But that definitely does not look like a wart to me! Looks like a fine addition to the house. Probably raised the value no less.

Seriously I have no choice but to keep it inside my garage in a closet. My neighbors house is just across the drive way and he would scream if he had to look at it. So I'm thinking of a small insulated closet leaving the insulation exposed. I've even considered using QuiteRock on top of the insulation, since the space is so small. Probably overboard, but I can always add it later. What's the purpose of the plywood baffle that Ed used in the video? Does the vent need to be low next by the filter? Thanks again....Tom

Hi,

I understand. Well we recommend putting the return low because it's the furthest from the noise. We have found that the heat tends to 'settle' on top and cause the thermal overload to kick out so some of our customers started putting the baffles up high or small vent fans blowing on the motor (more or less just stirring the air in the room). Anyway the baffle in the video is a hybrid between the two.. it allows the heat to be drawn off the ceiling and keeps the noise in the room alot better. But a small baffle anywhere works pretty well so the plywood baffle in the video doesn't have to be a serious consideration but it does work better for both problems.

Matt

Back