Closet Ventilation

Bruce Ebling

I am nearing completion of my CV1800 system installed in a closet. My question to the forum is venting the closet. I can see with test runs of the system the closet has a positive pressure; air is blowing out around the door. What is the best way to vent the closet? Should I vent from the closet to the main room or vent to outside. Or is no venting needed and there is something amiss with the system.
Thanks
Bruce ebling

If you are using filters, and I'm guessing your are, I'd vent back into the room. The easy way to do it is to cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of a wall on the inside of the closet, and another one on the outside at the top. The wall cavity needs to be empty...no insulation. This changing of the direction the air travels helps to reduce noise. If you prefer not to do it in the wall, you can also do it in the ceiling. If done there, make a box with a divider in the middle so the air travels up, then makes a U-turn and comes back down. If you change the direction several times, it will help with the noise. I'd make the size of the box so that the air volume of the opening is equal to an 8" pipe. Hope this helps! Jim.

Vent

Vent

Thanks Jim: It did seem reasonable to vent back into the main room. I had not thought of putting one vent high and one low. I will give it a try. Thanks again for the help!
Bruce

What Jim said, but you might consider venting from the top on the inside and the bottom on the outside, so that you push the warm air from the top of the closet. Or do it Jim's way and add a baffle from the floor to near the top so air has to flow up over the baffle, down to the inside floor vent, up the framed space, and out the top on the outside.

Well first off if your shop was completely air tight the cyclone wouldn't move any air(like putting your hand over the end of a shop vac hose) and second is that it will pull the dirty air from outside in. (your shop isn't airtight and will leak the 1500 cfm from somewhere......may not leak 1500 though so your aiflow could be reduced) If you have a gas furnace or wood stove you could end up sucking those fumes into the shop if you don't provide makeup air.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Back