collection bin

scottybee

I just got my system up and running, only connected to the table saw for now. I picked up a Brute plastic trash can like this http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductPopUp.aspx?picture=H-1045GR
The lid snaps on pretty tight and I put a piece of foam weatherstrip around the inside top edge of the can but I'm sure it's not really air tight. But it didnt seem to be blowing out any dust. So the first couple times it worked fine but today I noticed the can was partially caved in. I took the lid off and popped it back out put noticed the weatherstrip was laying in the can so pulled that out put the lid back on and turned the unit on. Immediately caving the side of the can back in.
So what I'd like to know is this more a problem of the plastic can not being strong enough. I was thinking about getting a fiber drum as many people seem to be using. But seems hard to imagine that being very strong either. Or is not being air tight somehow causing a vacuum inside the can.
I have a small steel drum I think 25 gallon but I don't have a lid or lock ring for it. So if anyone knows where to get a lid for that maybe I can use it.

The plastic bin is not strong enough to prevent crushing by the external atmosphere. Several people on this forum have found this out. The inside is under a vacuum up to maybe 20 inches of water column. Fiber bins usually are strong enough. Most of us use metal cans from the big box stores (mine is a Behrens). I would suggest for either metal or fiber bin you make a plywood or MDF top with a rabbet around the bottom edge so the weatherstrip cannot be pulled into the can. The seal is between the top of the can and the lid. Get a 6 inch round starter ring (a furnace duct item) to connect the 6" flexible hose to the lid. There are photos in my section of the gallery (Richard L Brown(. Hope this helps.
bababrown

Thanks Richard
I'm just building a plywood box with a plexiglass window.
I have the box sealed all around with silicone and weatherstrip on top.
May be a little heavy to empty but I don't do all that much woodworking so shouldn't have to empty it to often.

Back