Connecting to intake chute?

gatvol

I have done most of my installation for the Clearvue cyclone. The intake chute appears either oversized or undersized. I cannot make the connection from my 6" PVC ductwork to fit the intake chute.The outside diameter of the intake chute is about 2/8" bigger than the outside diameter of the PVC pipe. So this prevents me from inserting either the none bell end of the pipe or the bell end. I even tried 6" flex hose. I tried clipping the wires in the flex house to allow for some give. To no avail. The intake chute is slightly flared at the end. I assume this is how it is meant to be. So in an effort to compress the flare I placed a clamp around the flare and compressed it. Those then are the measurements I get that I referenced above. I am at my wits end. Any suggestions?

Gatvol,
The 6" Sewer & Drain pipe should fit inside of the intake chute. If you are using schedule 40 pipe it won't fit. If you are using S&D pipe, you might have to heat the intake chute a little to get it to expand enough to get the pipe in. It is sized to make a tight fit but on occasion we get it a little too tight. Warming it up some will usually do the trick.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I haven't gotten to the point of connecting up the intake but did a test fit with 6" S&D and have the same issue as gatvol. What do you recommend for heating up the intake? I have a heat gun and a MAP gas torch. Hopefully the heat gun is enough.:)

-Todd

I'd stay away from the torch!! And be careful with the heat gun. Those things get really hot!!! My 2729 thin wall slipped right in. Perfect fit. As a last resort, you might be able to use a rubber boot/coupler with clamps. But I'd do my best to get it to slip in if I could. What pipe are you guys using? SDR-35? Jim.

Hi,

A torch will work but be sure to heat it slowly by staying about 6 inches away. Just warming it should allow it to slip in. Heat gun or boiling water will work also. If the pipe or intake chute has a burr or sharp edge on it you may want to hit the edge with a file or deburring tool if you have one.

Hope this helps,

Matt

What pipe are you guys using? SDR-35? Jim.

I'm using 2729

If the pipe or intake chute has a burr or sharp edge on it you may want to hit the edge with a file or deburring tool if you have one.

I checked again when I got home tonight. The problem is there is a slight kink in the round 6" part of the transition making it out of round. I'll try the heat gun. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the responses. Am using SDR 35. I decided to make a connector with some sheet metal. Worked great.

Back