Considerations for Used CV1800 (Advice Request)

rschumakerjr

I have the chance to purchase a used CV1800. It has been used in a knife grinding setup with 6 grinding stations. The owner indicated that it was used for wood and some composites, along with being used for the buffers. Also, he does not have the stack WYNN filters, which I would want. I also have the opportunity to buy the Nordfab ducting for it.

I will be using it in my one-car garage woodshop.

I would love some advice on the following (pictures attached)
  • Should I worry that composites and metal dust went through it? Does it affect the impeller or motor differently?
  • From the picture of the cyclone, would it be easy to clean and get it back to a clean or “clear” look?
  • He will separate the ducting and the collector, but should I get the ducting even if it’s not set up for my space?
  • Would this be a better buy USED than a less powerful NEW system? It is my first DC system and I love the CV1800. Is it too risky to buy this one used?
Thank you in advance and any advice on any of these points will be greatly appreciated!
Ricky

Attachments

• F60E81F8-A88D-4AB4-91C2-3D08622DF4B5.png
    F60E81F8-A88D-4AB4-91C2-3D08622DF4B5.png
    447.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 57690193-4EED-43A8-AF43-5014DE25567C.png
    57690193-4EED-43A8-AF43-5014DE25567C.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If the price was right I would buy it but they are so scarce around here they never come up used so I have no idea what they should go for. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it showroom clean unless that is a deal breaker for you. I would break it down and wash it to remove what I could. As long as there are no chunks it won't markedly affect the performance. The inlet ramp area would be where the most wear would occur from abrasives if anywhere and it would have to be a lot to become a problem.

If you figure you can use some of the ducting by buying a little extra to complete what you want and selling the pieces you don't need, using it make sense. If you get it cheap enough and don't want it you can sell it but research the used price on it so you know if you will benefit or not. It isn't cheap to buy new.

Making or buying the missing pieces for the filters and the cost of filters should factor into what you should pay especially if the cost of new doesn't work out a lot more when you consider in the extras to make it work for you. You could use the new cost of a CV1800 without filters plus what you feel is the depreciation or worth to you.

The motor is sealed so should be unaffected but if the run time is very high it could need bearings. How much was it used? Every day all day long for many years or a few hours a week for a year or two. It looks like it was used a fair bit. That should be a consideration. Impeller is steel and would at best be polished by any abrasives that made it that far, it would only need cleaning at most.

My opinions
Pete

Last edited:
Pete,
Thank you SO MUCH for the thoughtful and thorough response!

I don't mind cleaning it up if it will function well once I do! I am very aware of the scarcity of the CV-1800 on the used market. I appreciate the notes on the abrasives and how much it affects them.

I just asked and he said that it is an estate sale. The unit is 2 years old and was used on a part time basis. Does this seem like it's a good deal with this amount of time on it?

My instincts is that I would be getting a lot of machine for a good price. The big hesitation was that it wasn't just used for wood, but It sounds like that's not a big issue.

For the ducting, I will see what the price is and how much/what type he has. If it doesn't work for my application, it might not be worth it. The ad mentions that it's "$1500 of Nordfab ducting". But if I can't use it, it won't be worth it. I might see what I can get him down to.

It would be about $600 to fit the filters on. I will try to factor it in. I appreciate your thoughts!

Ricky

It looks to me that much of the dust is on the outside of the unit. Note around the painted area of the fan that it is dusty and there is a clear smudge on the intake chute as is someone rubbed it. I would ask the guy if he would clean the outside a bit if not also the inside. My concern would be that the grit from grinding may fog the plastic. Also, what comes with the cyclone? The electrical controls are significant in cost.
bababrown

Bababrown,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it does look like the dust is on the outside. It would make sense to ask him to clean the outside at least so I could see what dust is on the inside. Would the fogging of the plastic have an effect on the operation or longevity of the collector? I don't have experience with metal grinding, so I would love to know if it's an issue.

For what is included, I can ask about the power box. Do the CV1800 units that vent outside (the $1395 units) come with the power box? It is listed as functioning and able to be demonstrated upon request (when you get there). I will be purchasing the Wynn filters and clean-out box immediately. So this will be at least a $600 added expense.

One of the big things is that it is a 2 hour drive for me. I know that these are scarce, but I want to make sure that it is at least a possibility to be what I need before I drive all the way there. It is listed for $2100 with the ducting and $950 for just the unit. This is before any negotiation that I would do. I think I would shoot for around $700 or so. Do you think that it's worth the drive?

Thanks in advance.
​​​​​​​Ricky

I think the only problem with the grinding dust and metal would be in fogging the plastic so you might not be able to see the cyclone in operation. It should not affect longevity. I am not familiar with clearvues's current pricing (1395 unit) as to what is included. I'll try to find that. Unless he is including the electrical box I think he is asking too much.
bababrown

Back