Current draw on my LH CV1800

Todd

Ed, Matt, and other CV1800 owners,

I got my CV1800 assembled far enough to do an initial startup. I don't have any filters installed, no ductwork, nor a dust bin yet. The current draw was 17.1 Amps. I put a bucket over the bottom of the cyclone to "seal" it off and the current dropped to 10.5 Amps. If if put a piece of plywood over the intake to simulate closed blast gates the current drops to 8.5 Amps. After searching around here I see varied results on current draw, but mine seems a little low compared to others experience. Does this sound about right for a LH CV1800 unit?

Thanks,
-Todd

Amp Draw

Amp Draw

The 8.5 amps sounds right when everything is closed but with the bottom of the cyclone closed off and the cyclone intake open it should be closer to 15 - 17 amps and overloaded with both the bottom and the intake open. Check the rotation of the impeller......should be ccw looking up from bottom of cyclone. The only other thing would be if the voltage is too high. If none of these help please call.

Matt

I just double checked, it's wired for CW rotation and is definitely spinning CCW looking from the bottom up, so the motor wiring seems to be in order. The voltage measures 242.3V while not running and 239.5V under load. I'll give you guys a call.

Thanks,
-Todd

Update

Update

I thought I would post an update in case anyone was interested and following this thread. After discussing the issue with Ed, he pointed out my low current readings was probably due to being at an elevation of 5000ft. I did some more research and found an interesting PDF on the Cincinnati Fan website that explains the implications of high altitude.

http://www.cincinnatifan.com/catalogs/EngData-203-internet.pdf

Page 4 and 5 are the interesting pages. Air density changes does not affect the CFM for a particular blower. High altitude only lowers static pressure and reduces the required HP to move the same CFM. Hmm....learn something new everyday.

BTW Ed and Matt, thanks for the excellent customer service.

-Todd

Last edited:
Todd,

Thank you for the update I was just sending you an email to ask if i could post your email here. If you need anything don't hesitate to call as sometimes we have the answer. ;)

Thanks again,

Matt

Motor Current

Motor Current

Is this normal for the Leeson motor? My experience with induction motors has been that the no-load current is normally only slightly less than the full-load current.

"I got my CV1800 assembled far enough to do an initial startup. I don't have any filters installed, no ductwork, nor a dust bin yet. The current draw was 17.1 Amps. I put a bucket over the bottom of the cyclone to "seal" it off and the current dropped to 10.5 Amps. If if put a piece of plywood over the intake to simulate closed blast gates the current drops to 8.5 Amps."

Hi Bill,

Yes the no-load rating on the leeson motor is 6.5 amps according to the tag and according to our amp meter. I don't know that all nameplates give a no-load rating although i believe it has been standardized by NEMA.

Matt

Motor Current

Motor Current

I am really surprised. Normally I would expect a no load current of about 15 amps on a motor that had 20 amps full load. I wonder if the Leeson motor is a normal induction motor. The good thing about this is; it makes it easier to accurately determine the load on the motor with a clamp-on ammeter if the current changes that much.

Hi,

My other machine tools show the same kind of readings as the leeson motor.....the universal motors are closer to what you describe though. I did a search and didn't find what i was looking for though. I am going to have to look into this further just so i know but it seems to me that is the way it should work and not actually draw 15 amps when it's not doing anything. If you have any links I could read that'd help get me started.

Thanks,

Matt

Back