Current Draw

J

Jon

Just tested my unit hanging with no filters, no duct work and no trash bin and it measured 25 amps. I measured both legs at the breaker box 30 ft from the motor. This seems a little high what do you think. I will get more measurements with everything hooked up.

G

Not surprising. You are running the motor at FULL load! Overloaded by the ratings.
The more air it has to push the higher the amps. With filters, ducts and such it should drop. DON'T run it like you did very long or you will overheat the motor windings.

With 6" ducts through most of my shop my motor draws about 6 -7 amps with
all gates closed ( I know I have some air leaks) with the 6" gate at my saw open
- about 30' of duct from the cyclone - I draw about 9 amps - if I open all gates (10)
the motor draws about 20 amps. I made a simple tube manometer using clear tubing, a yardstick and some of that toilet tank leak detector water coloring - I get
12.25" water next to my saw with all gates closed and it drops to about 3 or 4 " of water with the saw 6" gate open - this is 30' from the cyclone. I have about 120' of 6" S&D in 6 runs.