CV06 Height and Noise Increase?

Al T

I have been considering adding a Mini Cyclone (CV06) to my shop to compliment my main CV1800 dust collection with a portable unit. My shop is in my two car garage which is attached to my house and as such space and noise are always an issue. With that in mind here are my questions:

1. What is the basic height of the CV06 by itself? I want to see if it is possible to keep the total height with the dust collector trashcan or box below the height of my table saw (34" approximately). Being a portable unit I don't want to have to keep moving it out of the way every time I use my table saw. Due to my smaller shop it will almost always be near the table saw.

2. Does the addition of the CV06 increase the noise levels from the basic vacuum it is married with? I would most likely use it with my Fein Turbo II vacuum which is very quiet which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I would not want to significantly compromise this feature.

Hi Al,

The mini is 18" tall which would allow for a 16" tall bucket but there is a hose connection on top that needs to be counted also. Your best space saving design would be to put an elbow on top as the hose will probably take more room than an elbow.

The mini will not add any noise to the system unless a connection is whistling or something to that effect. At least my own measurements have never shown an increase from connecting the mini.

Matt

Matt, it is good news about the mini not adding any additional noise. In regards to the height of the mini being 18” I quickly measured a 5 gallon paint pail and it came in a 16”. So it looks like I would have to make a custom dust container to stay in my height constraints to allow for the top elbow, the bucket interface and some room for casters to keep it mobile. It seems everything I put in my shop turns out to be specifically designed or modified to optimize it for my tight shop area. I will be adding this to my design list for my shop. It should be a fun project.

I did see some mini designs in the gallery that will provide a good starting point.
Thanks for the help, ==è Al

Mini Height

Mini Height

Al,

As tight as your proposed solution appears to be, with casters and the el on top, I went and measured mine. It is a bit smaller than Matt's nominal, at 16.5 inches. You may have a scosch more room than first feared.

Matt, just for grins, how high off the floor does the tallest part of your Ridgid conversion lid sit, once installed on the vac?

Regards,
DWD

Hi,

I just measured my ridgid setup and the overall height is 38". The mini is 16" and the ridgid container with casters is 18" with 4 inches for the hard elbow or P-trap on top that we use. I will verify that the stand alone mini is also 16 inches on monday (sorry I can't remember).....they should be identical as we don't make special ones. I don't know where you could find a short fat container with casters like the ridgid container but somthing of that shape works well and has 16 gallon capacity. I think that you should be able to acomplish 34" height without too much trouble and still have a decent container for holding the dust. This brings up some more thoughts for us as even in my relatively big shop I have to store my setup seperate (won't fit under anything).....we made it better but still could use some more work maybe....it hasn't been a problem per say but i guess it'd be nice to save space. What height would you guys recommend I shoot for in most situations? I am asking about the ridgid lid set-up as the standalone is at a min. height now.

Sorry if i got off topic,

Matt

Heights

Heights

Thanks, Matt, for the info on the conversion lid. After the post, I saw the legalese boilerplate you were asked to put up instead of mentioning them by name.

There probably is a half inch or so "slop" that can accumulate during assembly of the Minis. A little bit at the cylinder to cone joint, a little more depending on how flat the bottom of the cone is and how deep your assembly guy pushes it in, and same for the top lid.

But the point remains that the 18" number you originally quoted I would view as "max". And for most folks, that's probably a good number to use for planning purposes.

From what I've read and seen over the years, most tables, workbenches, etc. usually come in somewhere between 34 and 38 inches. Some short folks like me at 5' 8" seem to prefer around 34" heights. Taller guys put blocks under everything.

If a table's work surface is, say 36, then there will be some thickness for the structure, maybe a couple of inches. So if you pick 34, you should get something that'll fit under a "nominal" table. If you pick 32, you should even satisfy us short guys but will penalize the taller folks who might have preferred a bit more barrel capacity.

Regards,
DWD

Optimal Height

Optimal Height

Matt and DWD, thanks for the added information on the Mini’s height. Knowing that there might be an additional 2” in height to play with could be significant on keeping the total under my 34” limit.

I checked the height of various tools, benches and mobile benches in my shop and the lowest thing was my Unisaw table saw work surface at just over 34”. If I were to store something under its right extension table it would have to be under 32” in height (note my saw is on a mobile base which adds about an inch in height). Keeping the Mini setup to under 32” would be nice but I think the main goal should be to keep it below the main work surfaces because a mobile unit would be expected to move around and could eventually wind up next to most the shop machines and work surfaces. Keeping below the work surfaces would allow you to work around it without interfering with a machine’s typical operations. In my smaller shop the mobile vacuum is always in the way, I just don’t want to have to keep moving it as I move around the shop for various operations. With all that said I think 32” would be great but anything 34” or under would be just fine for a shop like mine. ===> Al

Back