CV06 Mini - shop vac power needed?

matt996

Hi,

I'm looking to get a CV06 Mini in the near future for my home shop to help save on vac bags and hepa filters. I was wondering how powerful of a shop vac is needed to get good performance out of the cyclone? I know I need much more airflow for proper health and safety from the dust, but it just isn't in the budget right now. Usage is mainly for chip/dust collection from the router table.

I'm not sure what hp my vacuum is as it's older (recognizing the "peak hp" claims are bogus anyway) but the motor is rated for 7 amps. Anyone know if this will be enough?

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt,

And welcome to the CV Forums. I use a 16 Gallon ShopVac with my Mini CV06 (I actually have both the original model made before 2008 and the new model that I got this year). The key is to use the large, 2-1/2" hose and a vacuum with enough power to develop a high static pressure. I would recommend at least a 10 gallon unit, which you should be able to buy for under $100. Buy an extra length of 2-1/2" hose since the stock hose will fit between the ShopVac inlet and the top port of the Mini CV06 (no adapters needed). The second hose connects to the inlet port on the Mini CV06 and the other end connects to your tool's port. I use mine on my miter saw and use a rubber Fernco adapter that is 2-1/2" to 2" (I've attached a picture of the adapter). I have another adapter on my 6 x 48 belt sander to do the same. You can find these in the plumbing aisle at your local home improvement store.

Attachments

• Fernco coupler.jpg
    Fernco coupler.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you for the info! My vac is a bit smaller than that but I do have a nice 2-1/2" hose for it to hook up to the power tools. I guess I'll see how it goes, and if I need to upgrade then it is what it is...

Does the new CV06 work as well as the old taller one?

Hey Matt -so, does it work with your smaller motor? I am doing the same decision dance with no information. My Shop Vac moves 120CFM with a sealed pressure of 50 inches. If this is enough to satisfy the demands of the mini, I can buy it.

Well I should be getting my Mini in the next few days so I'll report back after I fire it up. I already have a 2.5" hose (stock hose was 1.5") and that has made a huge difference in the amount of air the vacuum pulls. As far as I understand cyclone theory, it's the volume of airflow (and its velocity inside the cyclone) that makes the biggest difference to how well it works. We shall see!

Well my CV06 arrived a few days ago and I've had a chance to use it a little bit. I was impressed with the build quality - the plastic of the cyclone unit is very sturdy. So far, with my relatively small shop vac and 2" hoses, separation and collection of sawdust (mitre saw, drill press) appears to be quite good, with little to no visible carryover. Fine stuff like drywall dust still gets some carryover - but that's not what this cyclone is meant for.

I will try to do more objective testing with routing chips and sanding dust when I have more time, and will report back.

Overall, nice product... thanks Clear Vue!

Matt,

I'd recommend that you put a good filter in your shop vac to capture those shall fine dust particles that get past the Mini CV06. I'd recommend using a filter bag in your vac (if it is a ShopVac brand, check here) or a HEPA filter cartridge for any brand -- you cannot rely on a stock filter or foam filter to capture the smallest particulates that the unit will just pump back into the air you breathe. You've got to protect your lungs!

Thanks, and yes I do currently use both a bag and hepa element in the shop vac. It ha definitely made a difference too. The hope is that the CV06 will let my bags last a lot longer!

Back