CV06 MINI with existing dust collector?

Lowska

I've been using a portable collector for the last few months. It's 1HP rated at 660 CFM with 4" inlet/outlet. I have it hooked up in line between a trashcan separator and a 5 micron Dust Right filter bag from Rocklers. I'm on a budget and doing what I can, but way too much dust gets through the trashcan separator into the filter bag and I need to upgrade.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/143290/trash-can-cyclone-lid.aspx
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html
http://www.rockler.com/5-micron-replacement-bag-for-rockler-wall-mount-dust-collector

I've been looking at the CV06 MINI to trap more dust. Can I use my current collector motor to power the MINI with some 4" to 2 1/2" adapters? Can the MINI support the CFM? Will the change in ducting size at the separator cause me issues? Would it be better to get a new Shopvac?

I'd like to bolt my current motor on the wall, with the MINI mounted on a plywood lid fitted over a 25 gallon steel drum, and discharge the air through the 5 micron bag filter. I'd add a diverter to dump the waste air outside when it's warm enough to bring in make up air; if that's legal. I'm still researching if I can vent from the dust collector outside or not. I'm in a pretty rural area.

I have an existing 30 gallon galvanized trash can, but i've read the cyclones can implode them. I started looking for a 25-30 gallon steel drum as an upgrade.

Anyone have some constructive advice?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Can the MINI support the CFM"? Just in general, with those 2 1/2" restrictors you won't have any CFM to speak of as the 4" and smaller hoses kill most of the airflow.

My CV1800 uses a galvanized 30-gallon trash can with all the seams sealed and the lid weather-stripped down, and it doesn't suck it in. It picks it up off the floor, but it doesn't suck it in. :D

I'm of the opinion that your plan should work fine. I have used two versions of the Mini CV06 with both my ShopVac and with reducers connected to a 1 HP Penn State Dust Collector with 4" PVC pipe running 20+ feet to the separator. Currently, I use the Mini CV06 with a ShopVac connected to my Miter saw and it collects 95% plus of the sawdust before it gets to the ShopVac.

It is important that you be certain that the bin lid is well sealed. And try to keep the inlet side duct runs as short as possible because you will be losing CFM due to the distance of the run (especially if flexible hose) and at the reducer into the Mini CV06.

I'm of the opinion that your plan should work fine. I have used two versions of the Mini CV06 with both my ShopVac and with reducers connected to a 1 HP Penn State Dust Collector with 4" PVC pipe running 20+ feet to the separator. Currently, I use the Mini CV06 with a ShopVac connected to my Miter saw and it collects 95% plus of the sawdust before it gets to the ShopVac.

It is important that you be certain that the bin lid is well sealed. And try to keep the inlet side duct runs as short as possible because you will be losing CFM due to the distance of the run (especially if flexible hose) and at the reducer into the Mini CV06.

I was planning on cutting some 3/4" plywood with my jig saw, then build a circle cutting jig so I can use my plunge router to cut a circular rabbet in the plywood. Depending on the seal I might add some weather stripping in the rabbet if needed.

I also thought I might try some ducting from the big box store for two short runs to the separator with blast gates. Being careful of the radius turns and sealing the joints. Maybe 10' and about 14' run. If that's not recommended with my setup, I'll probably just use a 20 foot flex hose between the tools as there used.

Back