CV1800 Hybrid Intallation and review

Rudy81

I recently finished the long journey of my cyclone purchase, installation and measurements. This simple project turned into a long saga for me, not because of the cyclone, but because I had a desire to really do a better job of organizing my shop above and beyond the cyclone installation.

I started out reading what I could on this and other forums. I decided on the Clear Vue product vs. the competitor in large part due to Bill Pentz's research and a few e-mail conversations I had with him. My thanks to Mr. Pentz for all his work which has really helped me make decisions on hardware, ducting, design and implementation in my shop.

My original plan was to build a stand alone structure in my somewhat small 20'x24' shop. The structure was as small as possible based on the measurements others have posted here. After building the structure, I realized it was taking up quite a bit of my precious tool real estate. I decided to take the long road and build a small addition to my shop to house not only the cyclone, but also my air compressor and wet-vac. That would have been simple, had my shop not been built on a slope. So, I had to build the small structure about 4 feet above grade, on a slope which complicated things. I expect to add pictures to this post at the end. That part of the project took a week to complete and then I got working on the inside of the build.

But first, here is a cautionary tale to those working alone on this cyclone. Before deciding to build an addition, I actually hung the main portion of the cyclone on the frame structure I had built in the shop. It was rather difficult to hang the motor by myself and was just barely able to do it. I then attached the cyclone body and thought I was done for the day, when I realized I had not properly attached the cyclone body to the blower housing. In my attempt to not over torque the screws, I actually had left a space between the two mating surfaces. So, had to bring the cyclone back down, attach it properly and then put it back on. At this point, I should have realized it was getting late and I was getting tired. But noooooo, I wanted to get at least this portion of the assembly complete. I had used a large trash can with a piece of lumber on the can to support the cyclone body while I aligned the clips on the blower housing. It was then that tragedy struck. The board supporting the cyclone came off the trash can and the entire cyclone and housing came crashing to the ground. The housing is side heavy and I was not able to control the fall. The bad news is that the blower housing landed on the filter transition and it basically exploded. The good news is that the cyclone body was unharmed and no other parts were damaged.

Thanks to Clear Vue support, in a few days I had a new filter transition. It was, however, an expensive lesson.

During my wait for the new parts I decided to take my time and build the small addition to the shop to house the cyclone and a few other items. What a great idea that was! I insulated that area and the cyclone is extremely quiet. I also have room for my air compressor and a few other items.

After weeks of working on the exterior addition, putting together the cyclone and totally re-working my shop's 6" ducting, the system is working way beyond my expectations. I will add noise level and air measurements on future posts. One important change I made was to run the ducts above the rafters, thus freeing up the space taken by running the plumbing along the walls. Previously I had been using a Jet dust collector motor with a Thien baffle. I did not make any vertical runs due to the poor performance of that small unit. The jet dc was not designed to run a shop wide system....although it tried.

Once the addition was complete, the assembly of the cyclone was easy. It should be, it was my third time. I did contact clear vue support several times to clarify some issues and they were always more than ready to help and explain. I did mention to them that they need to re-write the assembly manual. Frankly, as a technical assembly manual it falls short and could be improved.

The height at which I installed the motor assembly would have required to make a small stool or table to raise the height of the filters. Instead, I decided to leave the filters on the floor and make a metal tube to connect the housing to the top of the filters. I used two 9" HVAC start collars to create the tube, sealed with some metal tape and it works perfectly.

Electrical hookup was straight forward after I reviewed some of the posts on the 240v. electrical setup on these forums. The remote system works extremely well and IMHO is a must have.

In order to be able to keep the doors closed on my little addition, to keep the noise down, I built the type of plenum mentioned on some other posts using the wall stud cavity. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see two white registers at the bottom of those plenums. The opposite side, in the cyclone enclosure, have holes at the top of the cavity to allow the air to find its way into the plenum. When the cyclone is running, I am amazed at the amount of air rushing out of the registers.

I had originally planned on venting the cyclone to the outside, but am very familiar with the issue of outside temperatures rushing into a temperature controlled shop. After using the filters for a few days, I think I will forgo the outside vent plan in order to keep my conditioned air in the shop.

Next post will contain some more pictures and measurements I have taken of the system in action.

Please take your time with your build and don't do what I did. Get someone to help you with the installation. I am so very appreciative of Clear Vue's support during my mishap. These folks are just outstanding! This product is just outstanding! Yes, it takes some 'assembly', but it is well worth it when the system is running.

Attachments

• OriginalConcept.jpg
    OriginalConcept.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CycloneAddition.jpg
    CycloneAddition.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished_Opening.jpg
    Finished_Opening.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Completed_Cyclone.jpg
    Completed_Cyclone.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished_Enclosure.jpg
    Finished_Enclosure.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is some basic performance data on my system. I am no expert on dust collection and just about everything I know I have learned from the Bill Pentz site. If you have not read that knowledge base of information, you are missing out. A lot of this dust collection business is counter intuitive. I must have read his ducting page 10 times to absorb the concepts he is trying to expose. With my little Pyle meter, I have been able to confirm that in fact, air does not compress in this application. So, any time you reduce the size of your ports, you start to starve the system of air volume and thus performance.

Case in point. I just added a Sawstop PCS to my system. I knew that if I choked my 6" line down to a single 4" duct for the saw 4" port, I would be hurting the system capability to move dust vertically and horizontally on the 6" lines back to the CV1800. I would have thought the old venturi effect would prevent any issues, but that is just not the case. Again, take some time to familiarize yourself with Bill's site and really get a grip on what he is trying to tell you. No use having a top of the line dust cyclone if you are going to choke it off at the tool.

First, the noise level issue. I found that the Hybrid CV1800 is not as bad as some have reported. It is loud, but not deafening. Now, I wouldn't want to work all afternoon with that thing running next me. So, I do recommend creating an enclosure that is insulated and reduces the noise level. I used a simple Android phone noise level meter to get an idea of the relative noise levels in my shop. I do own a calibrated mic and software to make very accurate sound readings, but this is not worth the time to set all that up just to get an idea of noise levels.

Mic was placed 10' from the cyclone for these reading"
- Ambient shop level with no tools or AC running: 21dB
-Shop noise level with only AC running: 43dB
-Shop noise level with AC and Cylone running, cyclone enclosure doors closed: 57dB
-Shop noise level with AC and Cyclone running, cyclone enclosure doors open: 72db

Overall, I am very please with the noise level in my shop. With the cyclone enclosure doors closed, it is louder at the open collection port than it is near the cyclone.

Now, on to collection performance readings. I purchased a Pyle PMA90 anemometer to take measurements of the system. Not a super scientific method, but I just wanted to get a rough idea of system performance. My old system was a DIY two stage system powered by the 1.5hp motor from a JET DC and ad DIY Thien baffle separator. For comparison I will note the performance on that system. The duct work is 6" galvanized HVAC pipe. I would love to have used PVC, but that is just way too expensive compared to what I used. I kept all runs at 6" as far as I could right up to the dust port when able. I will show what I did with my Sawstop PCS for reference. All gates were installed as close to the main line as possible. I used a 7" to 6" transition at the mouth of the cyclone to get the 6" lines started.

Original Jet/Thien baffle performance at the Thien baffle inlet:
- 715 CFM and 4000 ft/min. This is the best performance I could have ever gotten from this DIY system.

CV1800 Hybrid performance:
- End of my 6" main plenum straight line run, 22 feet from the cyclone: 1441 CFM and 8596 ft/min. Just incredible suction at the farthest point. This thing will suck in anything you allow to get near the duct opening. Now I know that it can suck a large tape measure easily. (Saw that on some youtube video).

CV1800 Hybrid performance at my Sawstop, approx. 23' from cyclone including turns and wyes:
- main 6" line splits into a dual 6" wye. One portion goes to vertical run to another 6" wye leading to dual 4" dust collection ports on the saw. The other portion gets progressively narrowed to the 1.5" saw blade shroud on top of the saw. With all those splits, you would think I would have killed any performance. But, as long as all three of those ports are open, 4", 4" , 1.5", the system works extremely well.
- Performance at each 4" opening after the plastic pvc flexible line: 600 CFM 7135 ft/min.

I was concerned the overhead line going to the saw blade shroud would be pretty useless since I have to choke that 6" line down to 1.5". Less than optimum, but until I get a better blade guard, I am stuck with this. Previously, I used my wet-dry vac to run the dust collection from the blade guard. Interestingly, the CV1800 setup I have is way better than the wet-dry vac in terms of performance at the 1.5" end.

CV1800 blade guard performance:
- 2" line inlet performance: 164 CFM and 8000 ft/min
- 1.5" inlet performance 20 CFM and 1400 ft/min.
You can easily see the huge performance hit you take when you choke down the main line more and more.

For comparison, my wet-dry vac 2" was producing 92 CFM and 4317 ft/min. I never did take a reading at the 1.5" end for the old setup.

Overall, this system is just outstanding. Clearly, the major performance limitation are how we set up the ducting and more importantly, how we implement the ports at the tool. This is a big issue since none of us want to take a saw to our tools. Case in point, my Sawstop. I just got it and the last thing I was going to to do was cut into that beautiful cabinet. The sawstop duct is connected directly to a shroud around the underside of the blade. So, in order to keep good air volume available to the system, I added a 4" port to the Sawstop plastic motor cover. I was willing to put a hole in that since I can replace that cover easily if I don't like the system. Added benefit is keeping the cabinet interior clean of dust.

Last edited:
Was unable to add pictures after first adding the text above, so am adding them here for clarity.

Attachments

• Pipe-Split.jpg
    Pipe-Split.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pipe_Side.jpg
    Pipe_Side.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dual_Exhaust.jpg
    Dual_Exhaust.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Extra_Port.jpg
    Extra_Port.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
Wanted to add that I found a good source for well priced 6" metal pipe, 26 gauge 5 foot sticks. Grainger carries them and they have a rubber seal on the non-crimped end. Very nice product!

Back