CV1800 Mounting Distance from wall

Fingerpicker

Hi Folks.

My shop is finally ready for installation of my CV1800 which I bought from Ed about 2 1/2 years ago. My ceiling height is 10' 4" and I am installing the system in a new closet in one corner. I plan on using a 30 gal. steel garbage can for the dust bin. Is there an optimal mounting height for the mounting bracket? Also, how far from the side wall should the system be mounted? Should I plan on running the square intake through the wall or is it better to have the entire intake assembly inside the closet?

Well, those are the pressing questions of the moment. I will document installation with photos and post them when there is something to show. Thanks.

I didn't use a wall mounting bracket...I built a stand alone "tree" that it mounts on to keep vibration off the wall so it wouldn't transmit noise. If I were going the wall mount route, I'd mock up the blower/bracket/motor assembly on the bench, measure it, add 2 or 3 inches for clearance at the motor and measure down from the ceiling. You are fortunate to have high ceilings! Mine are just less that 8'. I opened the ceiling up above the cyclone and pushed the motor to the apex of the roof at the point of the gable end. That got me a little over 10' of space so I could use a plastic 55 gallon drum for chips and dust.
Hope this helps! Jim.

Thanks Jim,

I will be doing some mocking up, but was primarily wondering how far the cyclone should be from the side wall. The intake will be coming through the closet side wall and I don't know if I should plan on running the square intake through the wall or if the whole assembly needs to be moved away from the side wall.

Another issue cropped up as I was assembling the components, I think I will need to swap out the impeller housing as it appears that the one I have is designed for the exhaust to come out the left side while I need it to come out on the right side. I will call Clear Vue tomorrow (after the holiday) to see what I can arrange.

Kim Kasdorf (Fingerpicker)

You are fortunate to have high ceilings! Mine are just less that 8'. I opened the ceiling up above the cyclone and pushed the motor to the apex of the roof at the point of the gable end. That got me a little over 10' of space so I could use a plastic 55 gallon drum for chips and dust.
Hope this helps! Jim.

I agree wih Jim. 10' ceilings allow a lot more options for mounting. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum with permanently mounted 4" caster wheels. All I have to do is unscrew the 4 corners of the lid and roll the drum out to the compost heap.

I wish I would have bought 1' of 6" flex instead of the 6" length that came with the kit. This would help lift the lid a bit higher to give more clearance when emptying the drum. All of this is easy with 10' ceilings.

Steve

Kim, I think you can spin the exhaust around and still keep the orientation of the inlet the direction you want it. Did you get a left hand unit, or a right hand unit. I have the right hand version and my exhaust goes 4out the left side perpendicular to the inlet. The exhaust stands about 24" away from the wall. Now, it could be angled in an infinite number degrees in any direction. If I turned it to be out the right side perpendicular to the inlet, it would be about 6" from the wall. Does that make sense? I think you can orient the exhaust to go where you need it to. Only thing I can see is if you are trying to exhaust outside, then having it away from the wall would be advantageous so you can have a shallow turn as it exhausts. If you are using filters, it won't matter.
Now if you can, get at least 5' of straight pipe for the inlet before it turns any direction. If you can't it's not the end of the world, but if you can it will help the separation from what Bill Pentz told me. I use the 6" PVC pipe for this. It seems like I asked if it would help to keep that part rectangular, and was told that didn't make enough difference to worry about. I was glad cause I didn't want to have to make, or have made, something like that. I have mine on the inlet's same angle up. The original set up was about 7'. With the change up in ducting when I got the new TS 2 years ago, I now have about 11' Jim.

Last edited:
Steve, I had to replace my cone to can flex line...I never could get the supplied flex to go over the fitting, even heating it up. I think it was flex line from Wynn that Ed was using. It is a lot heavier duty than what I bought, but I can get this over the pipe! Jim.

CV1800 Mounting distance and orientation

CV1800 Mounting distance and orientation

Jim,

I had always planned to mount the unit on the back wall of my equipment closet. As a 6" exterior wall with brick veneer, it should be pretty immune to vibration. Please see the attached pdf fiiles of my shop layout and the equipment closet. In laying it out, a problem became quite apparent. I had not previously realized that the impeller housing is asymmetric. I have a left hand unit so for the exhaust to come out on the right side, the outlet is in the rear. The problem is that the impeller housing plus the width of the transition flange project well over 4" behind the back of the motor mount bracket support plate. I have attached a couple of photos where I assembled the components on a table that hopefully illustrate this.

I woke up very early Saturday morning from a dream about a different CV mounting location. Instead of mounting the unit on the back wall, how about mounting on the side wall? I immediately got up and laid it out in AutoCAD resulting in the pdf files attached. In this configuration, the inlet will come in from the rear of the unit and the exhaust will come out the front, both near the back wall. This allows good access to the dust bin and also allows a straight on approach in mounting the motor in this shallow closet. Do you see any problems with this mounting location?

There are a few issues I see with this, perhaps the biggest is how to fasten the inlet to the cyclone as the attachment screws will be blocked by the cyclone body, especially the back screws. The closet is finished with sheetrock and insulated with rock wool and I want to make as small a hole in the wall as possible for the inlet to go through. How air-tight does the inlet connection need to be? I might be able to wrap it with duct tape, but I don't think I will be able to reach all of the screws.

I will need to re-design the duct layout. The single line version shown on the attached pdf files are just my first shot which was done some time ago. I do want to try to get 5' of straight section at the inlet as Bill Pentz recommends.

When I ran the 10/2 to the equipment closet, I had a 50' roll and just barely made it to the closet from the breaker panel. As a result, I terminated the run in a junction box in the side wall of the closet about 7 1/2' above the floor. My ceiling height is almost 10'4" so I have plenty of height. With this layout, I will be running the main supply through the bracket mounting plate to a service disconnect. I will probably mount all of the CV electrical boxes somewhere on the back wall, roughly opposite from the door.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come and as always, thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• Impeller Housing + transition 4.375 from back of mount.jpg
    Impeller Housing + transition 4.375 from back of mount.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Motor Mount bracket needs to extend 2.125 more to rear.jpg
    Motor Mount bracket needs to extend 2.125 more to rear.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Shop Layout 1-5-13.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CV in closet plan 1-5-13.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
Kim, my thought on the layout: Is the location of the cyclone set in stone at this point? I know you said you ran the wire already. If the closet isn't already built, could the electrical for the cyclone be moved? If so, I think I can simplify your ducting plan, but the wire would have to reach the wall by the door labeled as 19. If moving isn't feasible at this point, I'll keep playing with some ideas. Jim.

ps: Oh, by the way....lots of detailed work on the autocad drawing!! Looks really nice.

Last edited:
Kim, pending on your answer to the previous post's question, my answers are in blue.

Jim,

I had always planned to mount the unit on the back wall of my equipment closet. As a 6" exterior wall with brick veneer, it should be pretty immune to vibration. Please see the attached pdf fiiles of my shop layout and the equipment closet. In laying it out, a problem became quite apparent. I had not previously realized that the impeller housing is asymmetric. I have a left hand unit so for the exhaust to come out on the right side, the outlet is in the rear. The problem is that the impeller housing plus the width of the transition flange project well over 4" behind the back of the motor mount bracket support plate. I have attached a couple of photos where I assembled the components on a table that hopefully illustrate this.
Would it help to loosen the main plate and spin it 90 degrees on the motor mounting? If I remember right, the holes for those mounting bolts are symetrical. Or is this what you did to mount it on the other wall as stated below? Or am I missing something else?:rolleyes: That's possible, because I'm a very visually oriented thinker.

I woke up very early Saturday morning from a dream about a different CV mounting location. Instead of mounting the unit on the back wall, how about mounting on the side wall? I immediately got up and laid it out in AutoCAD resulting in the pdf files attached. In this configuration, the inlet will come in from the rear of the unit and the exhaust will come out the front, both near the back wall. This allows good access to the dust bin and also allows a straight on approach in mounting the motor in this shallow closet. Do you see any problems with this mounting location?
No, looks like that will work fine in this set up.

There are a few issues I see with this, perhaps the biggest is how to fasten the inlet to the cyclone as the attachment screws will be blocked by the cyclone body, especially the back screws. The closet is finished with sheetrock and insulated with rock wool and I want to make as small a hole in the wall as possible for the inlet to go through. How air-tight does the inlet connection need to be? I might be able to wrap it with duct tape, but I don't think I will be able to reach all of the screws.
This may be too elementary for your background, but may help someone else that reads this later. Mount the rectangle to round transition before you mount the cyclone body to the blower housing. That way all the screws can be put on while it's easy to get to. I didn't use screws on any of the round pipe fittints(That is if the body still mounts to a MDF ring with 3 screws like mine does. I mounted the motor and blower first, then mounted the cyclone body to it.) Mark where the hole in the sheetrock is going to go. Note the angle the pipe will go through the wall, take the cyclone body down and drill a center hole through both sides of the wall with a long drill bit at the angle noted for the pipe. (I have a 1/8" 10" long bit I use for this type of thing.) Cut the holes out, remount the cyclone body and then slide the pipe from outside the closet through the hole into the transition. The hole is not going to be perfect, and you really don't need it to be. After I cut the holes on mine, took a few tries to get the pipe angle right, I took some pipe insulation foam and put it on around the hole, then put the pipe in. It filled the gap, and isolated the pipe from the wall at the same time. If you are worried about the seal, some clear silicone can be added after you put the joints together. You don't want silicone down in the joint or you'll never be able to get it back apart!!! If the silicone is only on the outside of the joint you can cut it with a razor blade and pull the joint back apart if need be.
One thing I can't emphasize enough. Wire the pigtail to the motor before you mount it on the bracket!!!! I failed to do that and it was a pain in the backside wiring it in a closet 10' in the air. You don't have to have the pigtail wired into power at this point, just make sure it is wired to the motor. I'll pm you some other information I found when I put my cyclone in. It may help, may not.

I will need to re-design the duct layout. The single line version shown on the attached pdf files are just my first shot which was done some time ago. I do want to try to get 5' of straight section at the inlet as Bill Pentz recommends.
If the cyclone location is not set in stone, ie: closet already built, I have a great suggestion for you that will simplify you ducting and reduce the resistance in the piping.

When I ran the 10/2 to the equipment closet, I had a 50' roll and just barely made it to the closet from the breaker panel. As a result, I terminated the run in a junction box in the side wall of the closet about 7 1/2' above the floor. My ceiling height is almost 10'4" so I have plenty of height. With this layout, I will be running the main supply through the bracket mounting plate to a service disconnect. I will probably mount all of the CV electrical boxes somewhere on the back wall, roughly opposite from the door.
Sounds good to me.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come and as always, thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

Glad to help, as I'm sure are others. We all learn some things by doing them wrong the first time or two. That's what these forums are for, to learn tricks from others and save having to learn the hard way! Jim.

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. The closet is already built and finished. I will definitely wire the motor prior to hanging it. I had hoped that I could cut a fairly clean rectangular hole in the sheetrock and slide the inlet into the closet from the outside. I can't remove the transition to 6" round because that was glued in place at the factory. To attach the inlet to the cyclone first and then go through the wall from the inside of the closet (which would be the preferred method) will require a much larger hole in the wall. Oh well, I can always patch it after the system is in place I guess.

I am interested in your suggestions on duct layout. One piece of equipment not shown on the shop layout is my Delta belt & disc sander which is next to the drill press, under the HVAC unit. It has two 4" dust collection ports that actually work very well with my old two bag Penn State dust collection system and will require drops to each port. I also plan on building a downdraft table and it will most likely go near the center of the room near where the large table is shown and in front of the Teal Steel table. I would like to run main lines close to the ceiling with drops to the various equipment locations.

It is a bit reassuring to see that I'm not the only one to take a long time actually setting up my Clear Vue. I bought my system in Jan. 2010 and drove down to South Carolina to get it directly from Ed Morgano. That also gave me the opportunity to see one in operation, meet Ed and Matt, ask questions and take a lot of photos of Ed's shop and in the production area. I guess three years is not that exceptional after all.

Ok, then are any of the tools on the long wall with the cyclone closet portable or do they need to be plumbed where they sit? They look real tight together which is good that you can make one drop and split it to run two or more machines, but it looks like using the bandsaw is tight and maybe slightly limiting. Also same question for the planer and drum sander since they are in the path of the doorway.
How do you feel about rearranging the shop a little?:eek: Or a lot??:eek::eek: Having to make the piping do a U-turn is a no-no in my book. Not that the Clear Vue can't handle the added resistance, but if there is a workable solution where it doesn't have to be that way, it would be better. Especially for the planer and the drum sander. You need as much CFM on those as you can get. I'm guessing from some of your statements that this is a shop that has been in use for a while. So everything is in it's place so to speak, and you are used to the working patterns. Hmmm, I'm still going to suggest some things. Take them or leave them, only you can decide what trade offs you are willing to work with. I was lucky in that I installed the cyclone from the beginning point of building this shop. All my tool layouts were designed by where the best place to install the cyclone was, therefore the electrical was all designed at that time as well. I'll make my suggestions in a separate post, but first I need to know about the electrical hook ups for these items: 1 drill press 2 planer 3 drum sander. Are these all 110 volt or a mix of 110 and 220, and which ones are which. Also, do you have electrical outlets scattered around the shop? or just where these tools are with a few extras? Just thought of another question...The cabinets marked Patent drawers, Tan cabinet,Greenlee storage, abd teal steel cart...are any of them critical to be by the walk through doors they are currently by? Like the Greenlee unit, I could see that that is storage for outside items and you have it by the door that goes to the back yard. That is what I'm looking for. Also if you could tell me which doors lead outside, and front or back of house. Thanks! Jim.

Steve, I had to replace my cone to can flex line...I never could get the supplied flex to go over the fitting, even heating it up. I think it was flex line from Wynn that Ed was using. It is a lot heavier duty than what I bought, but I can get this over the pipe! Jim.

I may have removed the wire to get a bit more stretch in the flex hose. I also have one of the older designs from Ed.

Steve

Mine is too. I got it in '06 I think. Back when you bought the motor and filters (I didn't do the filters) separately from Electric Motor Warehouse and Wynn. Jim.

CV Mounting Distance from wall

CV Mounting Distance from wall

Jim,

I am attaching an updated shop plan. Most of my shop equipment is on casters. I move the planer, belt & disc sander, drum sander and band saw away from the wall when using. In the case of the planer & drum sander, I open the back door and run long boards through the doorway. The table saw is a 1940s vintage Atlas contractor's saw that I have tricked out with a nice steel base, steel wings, casters, bottom dust collection, Unisaw fence & Baldor motor. I would prefer a nice cabinet saw, but this is what I have, it was my Dad's and it works well. Some time ago, I bought a Biesmeyer overhead blade guard & dust hood that I intend to modify for use on the saw.

This is a walk-out basement shop and until very recently, was a totally unfinished space. I ran a lot of 120v and 220v circuits and have power access just about anywhere I would want it. I have eight 4' shop lights plugged into receptacles in the ceiling. I have not built any benches, shelves or cabinets as I have only had finished walls for a couple of months. There is a 220v receptacle in the ceiling that I use for the table saw. I also have a JDS Air Cleaner suspended from the ceiling, but there is room above it for duct.

The Tan Cabinet and Patent Drawers are tall (about 6') heavy and not very moveable. The Greenlee chest is designed for outdoor tool storage, but I store the bulk of my hand power tools in it and need ready access to it. It sits just beneath the breaker panels and works very well in its current location.

The layout as shown is roughly what I have been using for the last several years. I am certainly open to suggestions for improved workflow, though. I should also note that the two receptacles near the Greenlee chest and the one under the Teal Steel Cart are GFCIs and need to remain visible and accessible.

Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• Shop 1-9-13.pdf
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok, that helps. I think instead of the total reworking I was thinking of, we best leave things mostly in place. So, let's work on making the ducting runs as simple and with the fewest turns as possible, which requires more questions. You're going to get sick of me and my questions! :D
In the case of the tools on wheels like the planer and sander, is it your plan to have ducting against the wall down to the level of the tool's hook up, and then flex line to the tool so it will move easily? My one tool I do that with, my router table, that is how I have it. I hate having that much flex line but we all have to make decisions. My shop is 20 X 24. I don't have all the tools you do, but it's still pretty crowded.
This is what I've worked up so far. I've moved the miter saw station . This will allow it to have more working space I hope. At least as long as the Greenlee storage chest is at or lower than the height of the miter saw table.Kim Shop 3.jpg Sorry about the quality of my drawing. There is a reason I said your cad drawing was good, and this is why. Let me know what you think on the plan. I count 8 wyes and 1 45 degree el, plus what els you might use where the down pipes terminate or go to the machine. At the planer and drum sander, I planned for one down pipe and a wye to split to each machine. Depending on how you do these hook ups, you could not split the pipe and switch the flex line between each as I doubt they would be used at the same time. Jim.

Last edited:
Equipmet locations and Piping Layout

Equipmet locations and Piping Layout

Jim,

I think we have moved beyond the intent of this thread which dealt with CV1800 Mounting Location. I am starting a new thread under the Piping and Dust Pickups section and will post my detailed response there.

Back