CV1800 Sawdust in cyclone

JGates

Can someone help me to understand why I'm getting dust in this area of the cyclone?

Also, I'm getting very little dust in the clean out area....but I also know it is time for a filter cleaning.

Lastly, what is a good way to see if the seal around the dust bin is leaking?

Thanks!

John

IMG_3783.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1

McRabbet

Senior Forum Member
John, if you are the John Gates I know, I'm surprised you didn't call me! But I'll share my thoughts for the benefit of others on the forum. The dust you are seeing in the inlet chute is indicative of reduced airflow -- it could be due to leakage into the bin or significant buildup of fine dust in your filter stack. To test for leakage around the bin, I suggest the use of a smoke stick that will show quickly where any leak exists (smoke will flow into the leak since this is a negative pressure area). Test not only the flex hose connections, but also the lid penetration and gasket area around the bin -- if it is a galvanized ash barrel, check the handles and any seams in the barrel itself. Any leak must be resealed using silicone caulk. To test the filter bank for dust buildup, the best method is to use a 2" WG Magnahelic gauge with one port open to the atmosphere and the second in the output side of the blower. To clean the filter, Wynne Environmental recommends using moderate pressure air from the outside. I'd suggest they be taken outdoors and blowing down the throat of the filters with a leaf blower to removed the heaviest accumulation and then using an air hose from the outside of the pleats. Wear a dust mask!

Feel free to give me a call if you need help.

JGates

Rob? Really? This is TOO funny! Yes, this is the J Gates you know! Thanks for the help...

OK, I’ve done the smoke test around the bin. Checks out OK. I think I need to clean the filters....before I install....

wait for it....

YES, the new to me (2 days ago) megnehelic! I laughed when I read your post.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Cleaning those filters are a dread as they are upstairs in the attic. Messy job.

Again, thanks! I’ll call if I need help.

JG

FAA60171-4618-4FDE-8E7F-03145F75FBDD.jpeg

McRabbet

Senior Forum Member
John,

Put the filters in big garbage bags as you disassemble them so you don't get dust all over as you move them from your garage attic to outside to clean them. And please wear a mask!

One added comment about your Magnahelic Gauge -- as a 0 - 15" gauge, you are not going to see much difference between free flow (clean filters) and dirty filters. That's why you need a lower range gauge to broaden the static pressure difference which will be less than 2" of water between clean and dirty.

Rob

JGates

Dang. I read online that I should have a 0-15” gauge. Bummer. I was so excited.

I’ll hook it up and try it. It was only $20.

Where would you install the tube in the CV1800? He had his in the MDF above the filters. 8B4E1E35-A8AC-4CDF-B768-D32CDFC9B463.jpeg

McRabbet

Senior Forum Member
John,

That port location looks perfect -- and go ahead and see if your gauge works adequately -- it may show enough deviation to keep you informed just like your bin sensor does. If you wanted, you could extend the tubing down into your shop and have the gauge there so you can see at a glance if your filters need service.

Rob

Last edited: