cyclone twist when started

garyshipwrig

Hello everyone. This is my first post and thought I would ask a question and see what others say about it. Been wanting one for a long time and finally got my cv1800 hung and a chance to turn it on to give it a work out, hoping to even suck up some saw dust but will have to wait till the weekend. One thing I notice was a twist to the cyclone it self. I know there is a lot of tork when started but just a little worried that some thing might break loose. I have the nuts tight on the allthread but was wondering how tight are yours and how squashed are your shock absorber. Look forward in hearing from you. Thank you. Gary

Twist? Do you mean when the motor starts the cyclone starts twisting? Or has it just moved from you original assembly point?

My rubber hose shock absorbers are barely bulging and the nuts are just finger tight with a 1/4 turn with a wrench. The double nuts have done their job and have locked everything in place.

I haven't noticed anything abnormal about my installation. The motor is very rigid in its mounting. The impeller spins very smoothly and will spin long after the motor turns off.

If you have mounted everything true and level and the impeller is mounted correctly, I don't know what could account for a twisting motion. If everything is locked down and screwed into place, I'm not sure what could be moving.

Yes sir when the motor starts. I still have to add the dust bin so maybe this helps to prevent the twisting with the added weight. Knowing that yours is running fine and no twist sounds like I still have a little work to do. Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
The instructions say not to start the cyclone motor until all the parts are connected. I took this to mean that you should have an intake pipe connected to the intake transition, the cyclone connected to the dust bin, the filters connected to the exhaust transition, the filters secured to the dust clean out box, all the bolts and screws in place, before turning it on for the first time. There is some vague warning that without everything in place you could over speed the motor and wreck the motor and the assembly.

When I installed my unit, I measured every sub assembly for fit and being level as it was placed in position. Verticals were checked for plumb and horizontals were checked for level. I didn't proceed until every bolt and screw had been adjusted to zero bubble out that part. Even the filters are plumb.

I do not believe that the dust bin anchors the cyclone as my cheap metal can doesn't move at all.

If you have wobble or twist, it is because something isn't in balance. You may have to disassemble the cyclone to check how the impeller is mounted and if it spins freely by hand and in the same plane parallel to the motor mount. With all four motor mount rods in place, that assembly should be very rigid by itself, before you mount the motor to the bracket assembly. Even with the nuts just finger tight, my sub assembly was rock solid.

That is about all I know on this subject. Best of luck.

Thanks guys will check every thing again will I get home this weekend. I am venting out side for the moment but do agree every thing needs to be checkled again. Thanks again. Gary

Pay particular attention to the photo that shows what order the rubber spacers, nuts and washers go in - it's really hard to see in my printed instructions, and IIRC it might even be upside down?

The instructions say not to start the cyclone motor until all the parts are connected. I took this to mean that you should have an intake pipe connected to the intake transition, the cyclone connected to the dust bin, the filters connected to the exhaust transition, the filters secured to the dust clean out box, all the bolts and screws in place, before turning it on for the first time. There is some vague warning that without everything in place you could over speed the motor and wreck the motor and the assembly.

Mark, the risk is not over-speed, but over-load. A blower with no restriction will move a tremendous amount of air. It takes a lot of power to move this volume of air, more than the 5hp motor can sustain for a long period of time.

Ed (the original owner) recommended plugging the bottom of the cyclone when powering up for the first time. This provides enough resistance to not overload the CV1800. It seems acceptable to vent outside (no filters) and run with all blast gates open. This is equivalent to a cyclone power up test with the bottom of the cyclone plugged.

I am not sure if a CVMAX with a larger blower and the same 5hp motor would be overloaded in this same configuration.

Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the additional information. I just follow the instructions when I don't know what I am doing or have no experience.

Back