Difference between CVMAX and CV1800

Here are the quick differences between our CV1800 and CVMAX systems:

CV1800: 15" impeller designed to run on "” ducting; generates 1,442 cfm. Available in either a left or right-hand orientation and designed for one gate open at a time.

CVMAX: 16" impeller running on 8" ducting; 1,935 cfm. Available in a left-hand orientation only and generally designed for two gates open at all times, even if you're only using one tool.

Thanks for the info on the difference in the cfm, but I wonder what the difference would be at the machine. If using the CVMAX with only one tool, but a second gate is open, I wonder how the cfm of a 6" port at a tool would compare to just using the CV1800 with only a single 6" port open. In other words, which one would provide better performance at the tool?

cvcsupport, will the 16" impeller option for the CV1800 increase the air speed at the port when used over 6" duct work? I've been told that there is about 20% increase in air flow, but I don't know if the 6" duct limits that 20% increase.

This above question is in line with what I'm trying to get to. When I asked Bill Pentz about the possible advantage of using the CVMAX over the CV1800 (in order to get the best solution even if it costed me a bit more) this was his reply:

"Your ideal setup would be a CV-1800 cyclone body with CV-Max 16" blower. This gives the best separation and airflow combination. Then use all 8" horizontal mains, all 6" down drops, then each machine needs hoods and ports that total to close to the same cross sectional area of a 6" duct meaning 28.25 square inches. Printing hoods and ports sounds like fun and one of those too many things I would like to try. Let me know how it goes. "

The biggest thing that puzzles me about this is the fact that the CV1800 only has a 6" opening. However, this is what I'm thinking at this point, especially after receiving the first response above. Since the 16" blower is so strong, the motor driving it may need to see a certain load, or it could burn up. Hence, my assumption for needing to keep two gates open when using the CVMAX even if you are only using one tool. So, maybe using the 16" blower with the 6" opening of the CV1800 "loads" it enough to prevent burn out of the motor. The more I think about this the more I'm incline to follow Bill's advice in the quote above. I'd like to hear cvcsupport's view on this. Namely, the idea of better performance using the 16" blower, with the CV1800, with 8" horizontal mains, 6" down drops, and only one gate open at a time.

Mark,
The motor is loaded the least when no gates are open. Restricting the airflow results in lower load on the motor. So there is no concern as to keeping gates open. I think what Bill meant was to use a 6" to 8" transition at the cyclone to get to the horizontal 8" runs and then transitioning back to 6" at the downdrops.Hope this helps
bababrown

Mark, I agree with bababrown's thought about what Bill may have meant. However, when you shift to 8" pipe, you are dramatically upping your costs and perhaps for not a great benefit. I use a CV1800 with 16" impeller but use the 6" horizontal ducts the CV1800 input is designed to accept. Great air flow, but I've not attempted to measure anything.

Yes. And I bring the 6" pipe as close the tool as I can get it. If I have to use flex, I keep it as short as possible. If I'm splitting into two 4" ducts, I'll also do that as close to the tool as is practical.

Thanks Rushton, I appreciate your input. I've been in the planning stag for a long time (living overseas and returning to the US next summer). When we move into our new house next year, I'll be starting from scratch so I have the luxury of planning with a clean slate. I'm planning to purchase a 3D printer and modify as many of the 4" ports on the equipment as I can to make them 6" ports. I'm sure this will be difficult in some cases, but I will make the effort. I've got several ideas, but won't be able to finalize them until I get my hands on the tools, which I'll purchase next summer also. I'm really looking forward to getting started.

Good luck as you move ahead with your project next year. Sounds like you've been doing a lot of good planning, and I like your choice to go with the Clear Vue cyclone for your shop!

Back