Do I really need the overhead air cleaner?

tweather

Hello All,
Installing my CV1450 in a two car garage. I have used a 400 CFM overhead air filter in the past along with an old Delta 50-850 / cyclone / Wynn filter. My question: With the enormous amount of air being filtered by the CV, and the need to leave it on for 15 mins at a time, is the small ceiling unit sort of like a thimble of whiskey at an Irish wake? I’m considering taking it down and giving it to a fledgling woodworker. Anyone have any thoughts?

tweather: I'd keep the air filter in place for awhile but not run it while you evaluate the effectiveness of your various power tool connections and the efficiency of dust capture as the tools are used. For example, a table saw often spews dust above the table, a miter saw commonly sends dust in several directions and a planer often spits dust or chips out where they are not picked up by your dust collector. After you run these tools for awhile, you can survey where any uncaptured dust is going and make improvements to reduce those losses. An overhead dust collection adapter (like the Shark Guard) can do lots to minimize dust loss above the table on a table saw. If you find dust accumulating on top of surfaces around the shop, keeping the overhead air filter running will help to remove the airborne dust more efficiently than running the cyclone by itself.

Any reason you just don't wait until you have been using the CV for a while and then deciding or is it in the way?

Pete

It’s a little in the way, but it can be moved. its more of just trying to simplify everything. If it’s not really bringing anything to the party, I’ll probably take it down. I can certainly work around it if it’s needed,

Back