Dust collection bin

brenthdoc

I am currently using an under-powered dc that is dumping into a large bin I built. I am planning to buy a clearview but am concerned about the small size of the receptacle as I do a lot of planing and a trash can will fill up in no time. What are some alternatives to garbage cans that are large enough to allow me to plane without stopping to empty the can every 10 minutes. I realize the thing gets taller the bigger the can you put under it. Can you mount the motor and blower off to the side and run a pipe to the top of the cyclone? If a large box is built to catch shavings will it still work as long as the box is sealed up and sealed to the cyclone sitting on top of it?

Dust collection bin

brenthdoc,
How much height do you have and how big of a bin are you thinking about? It is possible to mount the blower off to the side but it is a tough way to gain a little height since you will end up with an elbow (I think 9" pipe) on top of the cyclone which will eat up much of the gain in height and will add head losses. There is at least one example in the photo gallery. I have one of the early conversion lids for the Rigid shop vacuum. The Rigid bin is large compared to the diameter of the cyclone where it goes into the bin. So it is like a scaled down version of what you may well be thinking. I've overflowed it several times. It does not fill the bin, but rather, builds up in the center. I think a fixed cone near the top of the bin might help to spread the dust/shavings out but I haven't tried it. You might also think up a mechanical system to spread the shavings out.
Many have used 55 gal drums as bins. I've also seen a Y-connection to two drums.
bababrown

Dust collection bin

brenthdoc,
One other thing I forgot to mention. Matt Morgano states in an earlier post that they have operated this cyclone horizontally. So mounting the cyclone at an angle is an option you can explore.
bababrown

IIRC, the cyclone was at like 45 degrees or something like that.
My thought, do you have attic space above? If so, you could shove the motor and cyclone up that way. Just build a closet around the part that is in the attic. May have to devise a way to blow air up there to keep the motor cool. But an inline blower for HVAC duct would work great. I have mine open to the attic at this point with the motor about 3-4" from the roof sheathing and I've had no problem with overheating. Course, mine hasn't run for more than about 10 minutes at a time. The top of my motor is at about 10', and I have a plastic 55 gallon barrel under it. Jim.

DC

DC

Hey Jim I've seen where people have put a wye at the bottom going to two bins on wheels. That's if you have room under the DC.

I use a plastic 55 gallon barrel with 4" caster wheels underneath. It is around 9 feet tall as I recall.

Steve

Waste management

Waste management

brenthdoc,
.......... I think a fixed cone near the top of the bin might help to spread the dust/shavings out but I haven't tried it. You might also think up a mechanical system to spread the shavings out.
Many have used 55 gal drums as bins. I've also seen a Y-connection to two drums.
bababrown

Probably a good idea. The waste flowing into the bin is not homogenous so is not going to flow outward as readily. But the possibility of creating an inverted cone where the build up is around the edge of the bin exists.

Many subscribe to the idea of cleaning the shop, cleaning, tuning and sharpening tools at the end of each work session. Why not just check the bin at the end of the day?
Creating routines that involve small activities can go a long way to avoiding unscheduled big jobs. Even dumping the bin weekly regardless of quantity is a back saver.

I have a 55 gallon drum. 1/4 full is way easier to dump than 1/2 full. I cannot imagine it being 3/4 or more full:eek:

Don

Back