Dust collection system

Air Source

Air Source

tgwilie,

So long as you come close (or over) to the airflow and suction requirements, don't see why not. A caveat I recall from Pentz' pages is HVAC blowers usually have airfoil type impellers, thus aren't material handling and can require periodic cleaning.

I also seem to recall seeing some photos of someone doing just what you're asking. Can't recall where, though, and don't think they're in CV's gallery.

You might consider splitting the system, as John Randle did in his installation, splitting the cyclone body and motor/blower assy with ducting in between. It may also be beneficial to ensure no significant chips get past the cyclone and into your blower by putting some hardware cloth (1/4" mesh) between the top of the cyclone and either the motor/blower or ducting to it.

Regards,
DWD

I must disagree with DWD on this one. HVAC Blowers of the style used in furnaces or the inside coil units of heat pumps have "squirrel cage" blowers that are designed to operate at low static pressure and moderate airflow (1,000 to 1,500 cfm). The impeller is designed to be quiet, but it cannot move solids very well. Invariably, the motors are actually built into the center of the impeller and they operate in a filtered air environment. Cyclone and other styles of dust collector blowers have impellers that are specifically designed for material handling and the housing clearances tend to be fairly tight to that impeller to insure positive displacement of the material-laden air through the blower. The motor is kept out of the air stream. Typical HVAC blowers develop a few inches of static pressure while a good material handling (dust collector) blower can develop 15-25 inches of static pressure.

Use the HVAC blower to build a air filter unit that you can hang from your shop ceiling and equip it with some good quality furnace filters to remove suspended dust from your shop air.

Back