Dust Collector as Central Vac?

roger turgeo

Hi Folks;
I just discovered this forum while researching for shop vac, shop dust collector, AND home central vac solutions. I'm trying to figure out if I can use a shop dust collection system to also act as a central vac for the house. Is there a way to translate the CFM ratings for a DC system to a "vacuum" (water column) rating? If a DC system is connected to the typical 2" piping for a home central vac system, will the DC system create enough suction for the central vac? Or are the impeller designs for central vacs and DC systems totally different?

I have the option of putting the actual DC system in the garage, adjacent to my basement workshop, so I figure I can use a system with a 30 micron filter (good enough for out in the grage), which hopefully will create low static pressure and leave enough suction power--vs using a 1 micron or finer filter-- that I can attach a mini cyclone just inside the workshop and not have to go to a big 5hp motor. In other words, I'm wndering if I can go with a decent commercial DC system and add the mini CV06 to service both the shop and the home central vac system. But I really don't know enough about these systems.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried something along these lines? I can't be the first.

Thanks

Roger Turgeon

Hi Roger,

I know there's alot of information to consume to understand all of this and I can hopefully help. The biggest difference between the shop vac and dust collector is static pressure. Dust Collectors are typically in the 5 - 20 in WC range and 400 - 1800 CFM while vacs are in the 80 - 150 in WC range and 80 - 150 CFM. So a vac actually moves more air through a 2.5 in line (150 CFM) than a DC will but with a bigger pipe the vac still only moves 150 CFM while the DC will move 5 to 10 times that.

Central Vacuum systems generally are shop vacs with a bigger container and you can hook a mini up to that but hooking a mini to a DC isn't going to give you enough airflow for dust collection. http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/Mini+CV06/ScottBeresford/
Just a couple of pics a customer sent us. I am guessing he uses that for his hand tools and not the larger equipment. In order to get decent dust collection from your larger machines you need at least 800 CFM which requires a 6 inch. pipe.

Feel Free to call us at 864-878-3827 and Ed can prolly explain better than I have here.

Matt

Back