Dust receptacle (trashcan) shape. Does it have to be round?

lostrovs

I am about to purchase a Mini CV06 and I am trying to decide what to use underneath. I do not want to use a 55gal metal drum (too big and heavy), but I saw some posts that mention regular trashcans collapsing.
I would be happy to build a receptacle from 1/2" plywood or mdf, but I don't have the tools/knowhow to make it round. Will it affect the cyclone performance if it's just a regular box say 18"X18"X24" ?

Any shape you want, as long as it is airtight. Check the Gallery for lots of options by CV06 owners. Mine is not in the Gallery yet, but I've started with a freebie 5-gal drywall compound bucket, but may upgrade to a small fiber drum for improved capacity

I think the drum I have will work fine -- it is about the same capacity as my 16 gallon Shop Vac (14.5" diameter by 22.5 high) and has a gasketed metal lid held on with a clamping metal band.

Because I have a very low ceiling I had to build my own bin. It was 15x15x26 or so. Worked well but a pain to empty. I built mine from 3/4 ply.

Recently, I switched to a 10 gal trash can. Fits perfectly and is easy to dump. Obviously, I don't generate a huge amount of debris so this setup is perfectly satisfactory.

Burt

Custom Bin

Custom Bin

Lostrovs,

As an example, and because I'm rather pleased with my contraption, have a look at the custom dust bin I'm making for my CV1800. No reason why you couldn't attach a Mini to the lid.

Regards,
DWD

Wow! You should be pleased, that looks awesome!

Wow! You should be pleased, that looks awesome!

That is a very cool looking container. I ended up ordering a fiber drum for $25 and making my own lid for it out of MDF

Well, Yes & No

Well, Yes & No

That is a very cool looking container. I ended up ordering a fiber drum for $25 and making my own lid for it out of MDF

Cool in that its translucent and light. But uncool in time, money and aggravation. Has taken me over a month so far, with "challenges" as noted in the text with the photos, and at least 10x your barrel in aluminum and those nifty Gallina panels. Was surprised the SS hardware was relatively cheap.

I searched for a ready made bin or barrel, but couldn't find anything I liked, so started down this path. In hindsight, might not have been the most sensible thing to do, but seemed like a grand idea at the time....

Regards,
DWD

Back