Dust swirl in bottom of cone

R. Thomas

Hi,

I have recently purchased a CV-1800R. I have set it up and hooked it into my old 5" duct work, which I am planing to replace with 6". after set up I opened a couple of 4" blast gates and turned it on. Quite a bit of dust was sucked out of the bottom of my table saw into the can. After running a few minutes no more dust was being sucked up, but I did notice a constant swirl of dust near the bottom of the cone. I believe the seals are good around the can lid, but I haven't carefully checked for leaks yet, since I don't smoke and don't have a good source of smoke to check it out with. I will probably have to buy a cigar. :D

My question is should this dust swirl be present or is this an indication of a leak or something else wrong.

Thanks for any input,

R. Thomas:)

Last edited:
Dust swirl in cone

Dust swirl in cone

R Thomas,
I think you have a leak somewhere in the trash bin. I recently bought some 30-second smoke bombs from a local heating outfit. They're made by Superior Signal Co. in N.J. Make sure the can is clean, raise the lid, and drop the lit bomb into the can. Then close the lid. (Try one outside first and make sure it does not produce much heat). If you have a leak you will soon find it. Also, make sure you have a way to vent the smoke as these produce quite a lot.
bababrown

Smoke bomb

Smoke bomb

bababrown,

Thanks for your reply. I had not thought of putting the smoke inside the can. I would have thought that something like a lighted cigar moving around the edge of the lid while the blower is runing would be the way to go. Have you experienced this dust swirl at the bottom of the cone, and correlated it to a leak? Cyclone dust collection is a new area for me, so I need to feel my way along.

Thanks for your suggestion,

R. Thomas

Smoke bomb

Smoke bomb

R. Thomas,
Dust swirl with a leak is seen often. I've experienced it but not so bad that much went into the filters. Even without a leak I've had some swirl with larger but light dust like shavings. They also produce static electricity as they continuously travel around the cone. The smoke inside the can works very well because you can see it exit at any leak. The one disappointment with it is that the smoke won't rise very far up the cyclone. Apparently, the smoke is denser than air so it tends to hang low. I wanted to check for leaks in the blower housing but it would not go that high. I'm thinking about forcing it up with compressed air.
bababrown

Hi,

some dust/chips swirling is normal. If you cut a peice of mdf board with your tablesaw do you have a nice neat swirl pattern? If so it just sounds like the tail end of the chips swirling from not having and more material pushing it down. It is usually chips that swirl and not fine dust.

Matt

Dust swirl

Dust swirl

Hi Matt,

It looks like fairly fine dust. I did some caulking on the joint between the blower and cyclone, and there seems to be somewhat less of it. I still have not checked out the seal on the can. I am thinking about getting some 3/4" MDF and routing a 3/4" wide circular dado the diameter of the can and put the seal in it, just to make sure the seal can't move. If I close all the 4" blast gates but one. it looks like the steel Home Depot can is on the verge of collapsing, so I may have to find a stronger can. I am afraid to close all the gates.

Thanks

R. Thomas

Back