dust swirling in dust bin

AlanBienlein

I just got my 6" flex from McMaster-Carr and after I installed a piece between the bottom of the cyclone and the dust bin I get dust stuck up between the flex and the pipe. As far as I can tell I didn't have this problem when I used duct tape for the temp connection. I even used smoke to try and find a leak and couldn't find one. Is it normal for the dust to be swirling around in the dust bin?

Yes the dust does swirl in the trash bin. How do you have it sealed now? just the pipe itself or did you calk it? An Air leak will cause the dust to go straight through the cyclone and into the filters.

Matt

At first I just used the hose clamps and found out the sharp edges punctured the flex. Then I removed the hose clamps, wraped the ends with duct tape and reinstalled the hose clamps which made it better. I think I'll redo it with a new piece of flex, I'll use some polyurethane caulk and get some of those wire type clamps.

Need some reassurance, too

Need some reassurance, too

I have things more or less permanent now and I have a small bit of dust swirling from the bottom flex connection all the way up to almost the intake. It is a small bit and it took a flashlight to see the stuff near the top. I added metal duct tape to the dust bin where I thought there may be leaks but there was no change.

So, it is normal to see a bit of dust constantly swirling in the cyclone?

Dust Swirl in cone

Dust Swirl in cone

I often see a small ring of fine dust swirl about half way up the cone. Sometimes it is charged and sticks to the walls when I shut down. I'm quite sure mine is sealed well.
bababrown

[FONT=&quot]I have the feeling that there is some air leak and that is the reason why dust is swirling around in the dustbin. I would advise him to properly seal it. He should wrap the ends with duct tape once more. In other words there should be at least 7 layers of duct tape at the ends.[/FONT]

Dust does swirl in the bin with no leaks. Thin chips from planeing also stay and swirl in the cyclone with no leaks. This is normal.

Back