Electoral Question

Roadkill401

It has taken me almost a year from when I got my CV-Max shipped to me to getting it installed. Most of that was getting power into my shop, and getting it finished enough to get it working.

In hind sight, I should have tested the unit well before getting the ceiling installed and everything looking nice.

From my panel to my magnetic starter is all working fine. But I gather I have a dead short between the wires going into the motor. I am sure that I followed the instructions:

a. L1 connects to P1
b. L2 connects to (T4 & T8)
c. P3 & T1 & T5 – wire together

If you put an ohm meter between L1 & L2 you get zero resistance. As this is a motor, this might just be that my meter isn't good enough to detect the small resistance.

But if I try and start the motor, I get a dead short spark at the line into the magnetic starter and it blows the 100amp breaker to the panel. This seems to me to point to there being a problem with either the line up to the motor, or the motor itself.

I have checked the L1 & L2 to see if either is shorting to ground and they are not.

Any ideas??

Addition:

I opened up the section of roof where the motor is housed and opened up the connection panel box. I have verified that L1 is connected to P1, and L2 connects to T4 & T8.

If I disconnect L1 from P1 and check the amperage between L1 & L2 it's 1. So there definitely is not a short in the wires that connects the Magnetic starter to the motor. So the problem must be inside the motor itself.

Last edited:
I figured it out. Turns out the connectors from the factory were really messed up and they had a piece of T1 wire connected to T4. And I had connected the L2 to T5 & T8 by mistake.

All it working on the motor front.

motor

motor

glad you figured it out I just pulled my cover off motor so I might help.That is a 650.00 dollar motor,just looked it up on net.

I was going to suggest looking for what I found wrong from the factory on my Leeson motor. One of the hook up wires was under the "box" that the wires are in where it mounts to motor case. Dead short. I caught it before I powered it up the first time. Thank goodness for that little small, but persistent, voice!! Glad you found you issue. Jim.

Back